0.8 ➢ Tongue Piercing.

The next couple of days pretty much go by in a routine blur. I'm introduced to some people I don't know, I'm hugged by Bethany way too many times than I can count, and I do my very best to stay away from the blonde in the snapback with a wallet bigger than my handbag; Luke Hemmings.

More stories have surfaced about that guy these past couple of days and I'm not surprised, to say the least. Regardless of how unpleasant he really is, it's none of my business; so I keep my head down, and my opinions low. Play it safe and there's no chance of getting a penalty.

Though I have to admit, some of the stuff he does is unbelievable and albeit interesting. I find myself doubting Chloe most of the time when she Skype calls me one dorm away at 2am every night, excited out of her goddamn mind to tell me all the leaked information passed onto her by her fellow roommates.

"Apparently he's a drug dealer. Who also does his own drugs," it was 2am but she was still wiping her make-up off, perfectly shaped eyebrows raised as she stared at me through the screen.

I was clad in my own unattractive attire underneath the covers, internally praising the girl in front of me for being much more responsible make-up wise than I was. I was also half-asleep, resulting in the short and inattentive-sounding replies that managed to fall past my lips at her words.

"Right."

"And, he has like, seven tattoos!"

"Cool,"

"I even heard from somebody that he used to have a tongue piercing, way back when he didn't have his lip one. A tongue piercing,"

"Ouch?"

"And he's a boxer. Underground!"

"What?"

"It's just a rumour," I remember her shrugging, watching as she adjusted her own laptop's camera at the time, "But Holly heard from April, who heard from Aaliyah, who heard from Jenny, who heard from Ali, who heard from Piper-"

"Chloe,"

"Right. Sorry," she apologised politely, "But anyway, it all got to Bailey and Bailey told me. Everyone's saying that he boxes in Brooklyn or something like that, earns money during his matches or whatever. But even if it's true, it's not like he needs it," she said, her tone accompanied by a playful scoff, "It's probably just like, pocket money to him."

I remember nodding. I also remember thinking of how the 'pocket money' the man earned was probably one where the pocket was fake and only there for the design; in other words, something Luke probably didn't need and undoubtedly wouldn't benefit from, but got anyway.

By the time it's Wednesday, I'm halfway through Delta rushing and I have yet to make my mind up. I'm sitting alone on one of the many unoccupied benches on campus when I feel a tall shadow loom above me; obscuring any light from the phone in my hand.

"Hey," they say, already slipping into the seat next to me, causing the bag between us to nudge against my thigh. I slip it onto the floor as Michael leans back; stretching his arms across the bench, puffing his cheeks out to exhale air.

"Hi," I say, flipping a small lock of hair behind my shoulder, "What's up with you?" immediately, his eyebrow raises.

"How can you tell something's wrong?"

I shrug, slowly closing the laptop balanced cautiously on my knees as I look him up and down, "Lucky guess."

He looks exhausted. I can't say I'm surprised at all. Rush week is taking it's toll on the man and although he looks much better than most of the actual freshmen he has to deal with- most of them have bags under their eyes and five o'clock shadows already- I can't say he doesn't look the least bit ready to crash.

"I'm just stressed," Michael tells me, running a hand through his hair. I nod in understanding, not once breaking my gaze away from him, "It's been nonstop, running from frat to frat to talk to the dickhole who runs the other one about his assholes bothering mine," he breathes in quickly, "And when I finally reach him he brushes it off because 'my boys know their place'. Know their fucking place my ass. Snorting coke off of a Delta girl's boob doesn't mean you know your stupid place, it just means you'll do anything to keep it... am I making any sense?" he rambles.

I shake my head truthfully, smile small as it twitches upwards, "No, but that's okay. Explain?"

"Luke Hemmings is fucking rush week up. Completely," he rants, "But he does it so that he won't get fucking caught! He just won't follow the rules, he throws parties every single night- which isn't allowed, by the way, because Freshies shouldn't even be going to those things in the first place if they haven't rushed yet-"

"How come I haven't been invited to one of these insanely amazing parties?" I gasp, mouth falling open in mock horror.

Michael glares, "Sophie."

I roll my eyes, opening my laptop up again before leaning my back fully against the bench. I figure the quicker Michael finishes his ranting, the sooner I can lay out the pros and cons of rushing for Delta, all while attempting to ignore the cons by tricking belief in the pros. Confusing, but it works.

"He's just- gah, he's a moron!" Michael sighs loudly, stomping his foot suddenly on the floor, "A grade-A asshole, I'm telling you now,"

"Mhm,"

"Treats girls like they're nothing and treats his fraternity brothers like they're his minions,"

I pause. I learnt not too long ago that Luke was the sole reason Michael broke up with his girlfriend, and it's done nothing but mess him up ever since it happened.

I also found out that Luke didn't even stay with her in the end. She was just a one night stand, apparently, an easy target with a spiteful intention. News gets around fast on campus and when it's about the son of one of the richest men in Manhattan, it spreads like nothing but wildfire.

That, and because the girl hasn't showed up to a single lecture on her timetable since.

"Fuckin' hell, you have no idea how much I hate that guy," Michael groans. I gather myself again, pulling my head out of my thoughts, "Sometimes I wish he could just give up already and fucking leave. Nobody wants him here. But they're either too scared of him and his money or too pissed off with what he's done to do anything,"

"Trust me, I know," I murmur absentmindedly, far too invested in the unfinished draft before me to pay him any sort of proper attention. His words somehow take me back to the small cafe, with Sadie at the counter and Luke with his back turned, flipping through a poetry book and ignoring everything around him, and I shudder.

He may have acted like an asshole even then, but he wasn't necessarily something to fear. Just something to stay away from just in case you don't want your head bitten off with all the spiteful words he has to say.

"I need a drink," and suddenly Michael's up, yet another frustrated rake through his hair with his fingers as he looks down at me. I give him nothing but a hopeless smile in response, for I already know he wants me to come along. "You coming with?"

"I can't, I'm sorry. I have three days left to decide and I can't even think about one stupid reason to stay," I sigh, eyebrows furrowing together.

Michael nods in understanding, stuffing his hands in pockets. After saying a short goodbye and slumping his shoulders, I watch as he disappears around the corner, nothing but a stressed vibe radiating from the hoodie wrapped around his lanky figure.

I yawn, covering my mouth with my hands as the empty page in front of me starts to look more daunting than ever. It's useless trying to think right now but it's all I can force myself to do.

Hi it's only the second week back at school and I'm already so stressed and sad so I'm so sorry if this chapter was short and shit aksjdalsk I'll try to get better but ya girl's just drained rn, I love you guys so much please have a wonderful day and thankyou for reading<3
-M xxx