I know who it is without having to think about it. The dark clothing, the dark hair - there is no mistaking William Marule for somebody else as he moves through the darkness with the grace of a panther.

I watch closely through the safety of my bedroom window with narrowed eyes as he disappears through the gate and into the forbidden forest. My breath catches in my throat, everything inside of me screaming to follow him. But I stay where I am safe as a shudder runs down my spine and a new question arises.

Will Marule is a liar. He told me he'd never been into the forest; he told me that I was mistaken. What else could he be lying about?

He ventures into the forest and lies; he moves with the stealth of an animal stalking its prey. My heart picks up in my chest as I stare out at the darkness. There is something about him that sets me completely on edge; all the signs are pointing to one thing. I try to push the thought away, but I can't suppress the question.

Is Will Marule Alyx's killer?

#

The entire village shows up to Alyx's memorial.

It is a gathering of white clothes and red-rimmed eyes aside from Will Marule. He wears dark clothing and stands at the front, his skin burning golden under the harsh gaze of the sun.

With each glance I sneak at him, my heart pounds harder in my chest. What was he doing last night? What was he doing on the night Alyx died? Are we remembering Alyx's death in the presence of his killer?

Imelda stands next to me, her eyes puffier than anyone else's. But I know Alyx's tragic death is not the cause. She and Papa returned not long after they left last night and it didn't take long for the sobbing to start, echoing through the walls and rattling my chest.

I didn't know where she went until I saw Krysta across the clearing with a palm-sized red splotch on her cheek.

I should ask Imelda about it, I should offer her support, I should be worrying about the way Ethii glares at me from the other side of the clearing and Krysta stares at me with glassy eyes. But all I can think about is William Marule - the man who makes every woman in the village blush, the man who might be the very reason for this memorial.

Before Will, nobody had ever entered the forbidden forest and come back alive. He could have a perfectly good reason for going into the forest, but he lied about it. What if he is the monster we are supposed to be afraid of?

"Thank you all for coming today." Alyx's father, Mitri, takes the stand, swiping a hand across his cheek. "Alyx would have been so overjoyed to have heard the kind things you've all shared. Before we end this evening, I'd like to formally introduce somebody to you."

The crowd murmurs as Will Marule stands forward, his hands linked behind his back and his shoulders straight as his eyes sweep the crowd. My stomach tightens as his eyes brush over me.

"I present to you Mr William Marule," Mitri says, gazing up at Will. "He has been sent from the Palace to find my son's killer."

The murmurs of the crowd become louder, some triumphant while others are filled with anticipation. I stay silent, standing next to Imelda whose nails dig into my wrist. Will's eyes scan over the crowd, pausing when they meet mine. My stomach twists as I avert my gaze to the ground.

My mind burns with confusion. I don't know what to believe; I don't know whether or not I should tell someone what I suspect. Will Marule is secretive and suspicious, but he saved me from Ethii's wrath yesterday. Would it be right to turn him over when I have no concrete evidence that he is a murderer?

"Mr Marule," Mitri steps back. "If you have any words, please."

When I look back up, Will is no longer looking at me. His gaze sweeps over the crowd, confident and sure of himself as he stands steadily in front of us.

"Alyx sounded like an incredible man and I'm sorry for your loss," He says. "It's important that you learn from this and do not enter the forbidden forest. Stay behind the protective walls of your village and you'll be safe."

Liar. You're lying.

I swallow the words working their way up my throat.

Ethii steps forward, his expression sour as he stares begrudgingly at Will. "And what about Alyx's killer?"

Will Marule doesn't falter, nor does he seem shaken by Ethii's inquisition. He simply raises his chin and flickers his gaze through the crowd, a group of girls giggling when his eyes brush across theirs. I wonder if their stomachs drops the way mine does, I wonder if he makes them as breathless as he does me.

I wonder if I'm not the only one who is attracted to somebody who could be a murderer.

Then he looks at mine, his dark eyes holding mine captive and make my throat tighten. Am I looking into the eyes of a killer? Why do I feel so light-headed when he looks at me?

His eyes flash unnaturally the way they did by the well. "Alyx's death will be avenged, I can promise you that."