Chapter 32- Shadows (Ava)

Start from the beginning

Slowly, I reached out shaking hands towards his body, and laid my hands down on his chest.

"No," I whispered as my vision blurred, "Remus..."

A sob wracked through my body, and I dropped my head, "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry."

There was a loud ringing in my ears, but through that I could hear a voice calling my name.

"Ava... Ava, we can't stay here."

I felt a hand wrap itself around my arm, and suddenly someone was pulling me up and away from Remus' body.

"Where's Tonks?" I asked quietly, "We have to tell her-"

"She's dead, Ava," The voice murmured in my ear, "Dolohov got to her too. We have to get you inside, now."

"Teddy..." I stepped forwards numbly, "What about Teddy? He's got no one."

The voice didn't respond. I blinked rapidly, and my vision began to clear as we approached the doors to the Entrance Hall. Dean and Luna were standing just inside, and they waved us over. I realised after a short moment that it was Seamus who was helping me into the castle, and I felt an overwhelming surge of gratitude. I knew that now wasn't the time to thank him though, so I just smiled at him.

"They're closing in," Dean murmured, "They've got more reinforcements... more creatures... Can you still fight, Ava?"

My thoughts flickered to Remus- how he'd been so determined to protect me, but he'd always known that I was just like my parents and would refuse to step down. How- even though I risked my life time and time again- in the end he was proud to see that I had grown to be like James and Lily Potter, with my small streak of Sirius buried in somewhere. He'd want me to carry on fighting- he wouldn't want to see me give up after I'd been so determined to fight before. I turned to Dean and nodded, tightening my grip on my wand.

"Of course. What do you take me for?" I grinned, and the others nodded and relaxed slightly, "Where's Fred?"

"He's out there with George," Luna pointed, "He told Seamus to take you in where it was safer."

Suddenly the doors to the Entrance Hall burst open as massive spiders tumbled inside.

"Safer?" Seamus asked, as the four of us began to shoot jinxes at the spiders, "Was he quite sure?"

"Have you seen Harry?" I asked, and Luna nodded.

"Yes! With Ron and Hermione- they went outside, but I'm not sure where. Oh look, Fred and George!"

Several of the spiders had fallen onto their backs, their legs curling up into their bodies, but there were still great thumping noises outside that shook the castle walls. Fred and George had indeed emerged by the door, back to back as they shot jinxes at giants and spiders. Fred caught my eye across the hall and gave me a questioning thumbs up. Just as I was about to raise my own thumb, someone yelled out and the hall went dark and cold.

"The dementors are back!" Dean shouted, "Quick!"

The hooded figures that had flown in through the doors were slowly getting closer, and as I raised my wand to cast a Patronus, thoughts of Remus' and Tonks' deaths seeped into my mind. I tried to banish them, but the memories were too recent- too raw. I desperately delved into my mind, trying to think of something. The first thing that my brain latched onto was the thought of Harry- being reunited with Harry after not seeing him for almost a year, and knowing that I had at least some family left.

A moment later, a silver phoenix burst out of my wand, flying alongside other silver animals. The dementors began to cower back, although a few had escaped and were seeping further into the castle. Without thinking, I turned on my heel and dashed further into the castle, up the stairs where the dementors had gone.