Forest of Giant Trees

Start from the beginning

"!?" Heidi gasped in surprise as her eyes widened. A female titan...!?

"Oh shit..." Gunther cursed. "We can't get away just galloping straight through the forest!"

"It's fast!! It's gonna catch us!!" Erd shouted.

"Captain!! Let's switch to 3DMG!!" Petra yelled anxiously. Levi raised his sword slightly, preparing to give his next order, when two soldiers flew in from the rear on 3DMG.

"!!" Eren gasped.

"Reinforcements from behind!" Petra announced. They all watched as both soldiers fired a grappling hook into the base of the female titan's neck. The titan glanced at them out the corner of her eyes and immediately reacted by reaching up and protecting the nape of her neck with one hand while leaning closer to the nearest tree coming up on her right so she could squash one soldier like a bug against the tree with her shoulder, then reached out and grabbed the other with her hand and squeezed, crushing their spine and internal organs before smearing them against a tree as she continued forward. It was over in an instant. Squad Levi stared at the monster chasing them in horror. That thing was no ordinary titan. It obviously possessed intelligence, and it was killing humans as easily as if it were merely swatting some flies. Levi narrowed his eyes and glared at fiercely it. That thing was going to pay.

"Captain! Orders!?" Petra screamed.

"Let's do it!" Oruo shouted nervously. "That thing's really dangerous! We should kill it!"

"I'm gonna turn it into mincemeat..." Erd growled angrily despite his fear. Heidi gritted her teeth and raised her sword slightly, ready to move if given the order.

'Fool! You ran straight into hell...!' Eren thought vindictively as he glared up at the female titan. 'You're chasing a group of elite titan killers!' He looked ahead to Levi, but the order to attack never came. "!?" he gasped, startled and confused. "Captain Levi!?"

"Give us your orders!!" Oruo yelled anxiously.

"Everyone, cover your ears," Levi ordered as he drew his flare gun. Heidi immediately did so as he pulled the trigger, and was soon very glad that she had.

SCREEEEEEEEEEE!!

Even those who had their ears covered winced at the ear-piercing screech that filled the air, echoing through the forest.

"...!" Eren gasped, furrowing his brow in confusion. "A sound grenade!?"

'Why would he...? I see!' Heidi thought as her eyes widened slightly in realization. It must be some kind of signal for the ambush! This wasn't just about overwhelming it with force. The reason why he hadn't ordered them to attack must be because they wanted to capture it alive!

"... What's your job?" Levi asked them as the ringing subsided. "Was it to simply succumb to your emotions? I don't think so. No, this squad's mission is to keep that piss-poor brat from getting so much as a scratch," he reminded them sternly as he spared a glance back at them, referring to Eren. "Even if it costs us our lives."

"..." Heidi furrowed her brow and set her jaw as she stared back at him determinedly. They all had a much better look in their eyes now.

'They weren't assigned to keep tabs on me...?' Eren thought, surprised.

"We'll depend on the horses from here on," Levi told them firmly. "Got that?"

"Roger!" Petra and Heidi answered.

"!?" Eren gasped. "Huh...!? Depend on...? How far...!? That thing's right behinds us!" he yelled, panicking. "!!" he gasped when more soldiers flew up to attack the titan from behind. "Again...!? Another group of backup!! Hurry!!" he yelled, looking back. "If we don't help, they'll be crushed, too!"