Night of the Graduation Ceremony

850

Today was the day they put everything they had learned to use to demonstrate their abilities in a series of final tests that would decide whether or not they qualified for graduation.

"Pick up the pace! Run, you lead-footed laggards!" Shadis ordered as the cadets ran through the rain on foot, carrying all of their gear, while he followed on horseback. "What's the matter, Arlelt? You're the only one who's lagging behind! Is that load too heavy for you!? Should I make an exception and let you drop your gear!?" Armin didn't answer. He was doing his best to keep running, even though his body was begging him to slow down and lighten the load. "If this was a real mission, you'd be titan food by now!" Shadis told him as he picked up the pace, leaving him behind.

"Ha... Da... Damnit..." Armin panted. He couldn't fail here!

"Give me that, Armin!" Reiner whispered as he slowed down to run next to him, grabbing his pack.

"Reiner..." Armin said, surprised.

"You're gonna fail at this rate! We're being graded today!" Reiner whisper-yelled.

"But... you'll get points marked off too if you do that..." Armin whispered back.

"Then make the grade without getting found out! Before I change my mind!" Reiner retorted lowly.

"..." Shadis kept silent as he rode his horse, but he already knew what was going on just behind him. 'Reiner Braun...' he thought as he observed them out the corner of his eye. 'Strong-willed, with a solid constitution. Most adept at gaining the trust of his comrades.'

"I refuse to be a burden!" Armin said lowly, gritting his teeth. "Even if it costs me my life!"

"What the!? Hey!?" Reiner exclaimed as Armin grabbed his pack back and forced himself to pick up the pace, forging ahead despite the pain.

'Armin Arlelt. Subpar physical aptitude by a soldier's standards...' Shadis thought as Armin pushed past him. 'But allegedly a genius when it comes to theoretical courses. Should he ever find his own niche... Then, probably...'

Next up was target practice. The cadets were to maneuver through a wooded area using their 3DMG and exterminate the 'titans' located within. Jean, Annie, and Bertolt all closed in on the same target. Annie and Bertolt struck simultaneously, cutting all the way through, while Jean's strike was much shallower. The senior instructor with silver hair and glasses recorded their scores as he observed their run from a platform near the target.

Annie Leonhart. She strikes with a perfect penetration angle... her blows carve deep into the target. She's a solitary type, and solidarity doesn't come easy to her.

Bertolt Hoover. Highly proficient in various hand-to-hand combat styles... He seems to have great potential... However, he lacks in self-confidence and tends to leave it to others whenever it comes to showing some assertiveness.

Jean Kirstein. Highly competent with the 3DMG and highly skilled at using it efficiently. He's also good at assessing his situation at any given time, but is far too prompt to unsheathe his sword. He is also prone to sparking conflicts.

'Damnit! Annie and Bertolt again...' Jean thought, furrowing his brow. 'Forget about cutting deep, I just can't compete...! I'll just have to spot the titans first and score points that way!' "If I don't make it into the Police, no one will!" he shouted, using more gas to leave the others behind in his dust. "!!" Jean spotted a large silhouette through a gap in the trees and made a beeline for it. 'Here it is...' he thought, getting ready to strike as he closed in on the target. 'Now it's my turn to...!?' he gasped when someone else shot ahead of him. 'Connie...!! That asshole...'