21

Elena had texted Maria to meet her outside Esther's room, so that was what she did. 
"You're alone. Wise choice." Finn said.
"Technically we're not alone- we're together." Maria corrected. The girls realised Esther was waving around sage.
"It's only sage. I've spelled it so we can speak freely without fear of being overheard. You should know this Maria. That'll be all Finn, thank you." She dismissed her son. "You must have a million questions for me, girls. Please."
"How are you alive? Are you a ghost? Or..." Elena trailed off.
"Not exactly. When I died the witch Ayana preserved my body with a spell. She was a close friend of mine, an ancestor of your friends Tiana and Michael. And your friend Bonnie."
"So that's why only Bonnie and her mother could open up the casket."
"Yes, sort of. Only she and her mother were direct descendants of Ayana. Michael and Tiana are descended from Ayana's brother Abraham. I drew power from Bonnie and Abby and their ancestors who were with me on the other side."
"So you've been on the other side for a thousand years?" Elena actually sounded interested.
"Nature's way of punishing me for turning my family into vampires. But there is a way for me to undo the evil I created."
"You're gonna help us kill Klaus, aren't you?" Elena was eager.
"One thing at a time Elena. For now I simply need you and your sister's help."
"I'm not interested in killing Klaus. I want to torture him sure, make him want to wish he could die- I'm sure he already wishes he'd never been born, but I won't kill him."
"Don't you want him dead? He tried to kill Jeremy. He tried to kill me. He killed aunt Jenna and John."
"Yes, I know Elena. I want him to die, but I- I don't want to kill him, and I certainly don't want my sister to dirty her hands to kill him. And, I'm sorry but she's his mother. It's sick that she wants to kill him. The worst thing any person could do is kill their child."
"You're a new mother, it's to be expected that you'd feel this way, but if your daughter had killed tens of thousands maybe even millions people then you'd want to end that monstrosity."
"Your son was not born a monster. It was the combined effort of both you and your husband that made him feel unwanted and unloved, that drove him to expect to be hated and murder those who proved him right. So you killing him after having more than a hand in who he'd become is the sickest thing I can think of, especially seeing as you were the one who turned him into an immortal beast and had an affair with a werewolf."
"I did not force him to murder."
"You and your husband forced him to drink blood from an innocent. You were the one to condemn him to an unimaginable thirst that came with being a vampire. You were the one to drive him and the rest of your children to murder."
"You heard different accounts of what happened. Let me tell you my side. I understand Rebekah shared the story of my family. How I upset the balance of nature by turning my children into vampires."
"She said you did it to protect them from the werewolves."
"It's true. But in no time at all, they began to feed on human blood. They ravaged the town with no remorse. Eventually, Niklaus turned against me."
"You turned on him first."
"Stop defending him." Elena hissed.
"You know I hate him, but I won't stand back while you plot with his mother to kill him. He can die for all I care but his mother?"
"And how many daughters and sons has he killed? He tried to kill Jeremy."
"How many have Damon and Stefan killed? Damon actually did kill our little brother. And you forgave him. I wonder why."
"Stop it. Jeremy came back to life."
"Then stop using Jeremy as an excuse with Klaus. Jeremy didn't die."
"How about Aunt Jenna and John?"
"John killed himself to save you. And, believe me I am royally pissed at him for those deaths, but Damon killed Vicky, and he killed Mason. Mason the man who was a father figure to me. Who I'd known my entire life. Why don't you plot with Damon's mother to kill him."
"First off she's dead. And secondly, Damon's good now."
"Because you gave him a chance. I'm not trying to kill Damon but I'm not going to try to kill Klaus either."
"How are you going to kill Klaus? He's immortal." Elena turned back to Esther.
"It will take time, magic, and your assistance."
"What do I have to do with it?"
"My children believe I'm holding this ball to celebrate our reunion. But in truth I've gathered them together to perform a ritual. The first step requires blood from the doppelgänger. Only a drop. Its essence will be in the champagne toast later on this evening. Will you do it or shall I?" Esther held a long thin knife in her hands. Elena looked taken aback, but after a moment's consideration she removed her glove and gave her finger to Esther to prick. Maria pulled it back from Esther's reach.
"No no no. Elena, this is cold. I won't let you do this. Not only will you kill Klaus but you'll kill Finn and Kol who you've never met, you can't judge them. Rebekah who you stabbed in the back. Elijah who's never actually done anything to you, and saved you just this morning. That's not right."
"It's my choice." Was Elena's reply. Esther held a hand to keep Maria in place and without her magic she was powerless to fight the elder witch off. Elena reached out to Esther before her sister could protest. Esther pricked it and squeezed the blood into a glass chalice that was filled with liquid.
"What do you need from me?" Maria asked.
"Your help. Magical assistance. Willingly or unwillingly." Maria smirked at this for a second before morphing her face into a blank expression.
"She doesn't have her magic." Elena sold her out.
"I trusted you." Maria said, deeply hurt at her sister's betrayal.
"This could help us kill Klaus." She turned to Esther. "She put it in an object. I can go get it."
"Please do." 15 minutes later Elena came upstairs with the necklace. Esther held the necklace. "This has no magic. It's just a trinket, she lied to you."
"So much for trusting me. Maria, please." Elena begged.
"I did. I trusted you not to sell me out. I just didn't tell you the full story as a precaution. Not because I thought you'd willingly hand it over, but unwillingly. Don't you dare talk to me."
"No matter, you should head downstairs. I'll keep your sister here until it's over. She might try to thwart our attempts." Esther explained. Elena hesitantly nodded and left her sister in the capture of a psychotic witch. Literally.