17

"Excuse me, ma'am. Who are you?" The officer asked one more time.
"Are you even listening to me? My daughter. My baby girl is missing."
"When was the last time you saw her?"
"3 months ago."
"Why didn't you report it 3 months ago?"
"She doesn't live with me. I admit, I don't see her enough. But I've been going through stuff, and I know I'm the worst mother in the entire world, but she's been living with her adoptive family on Montagu road. And I visit her every month usually but I've been a mess and I didn't want her to see me like this. I know there are no excuses but please. I need to know if she's alright."
"Alright. Why do you think she's missing? 3 months is a bit of a long time, perhaps her adoptive family went on a holiday?"
"It's not that long. Besides the fact that her adoptive mother and father are dead and her adoptive mother's heart was sent to my house might have something to do with it."
"What do you mean?"
"Listen officer- I was in America visiting my sister and brother. Have been for the past week. Then I get a call from my ex-boyfriend who was opening my mail apparently who told me that a heart was sent to my house the day before yesterday. I took the earliest flight out, got here not that long ago. I went straight to my place to see if he was pranking me or not. I asked my neighbours, who reported the heart-"
"Why didn't your ex report it?"
"He probably freaked. Find a heart at- or well anywhere, you freak. So then I went to Faith and Leo McCutchen's home- that's the family. No reply. There's a crime scene sticker thing on the door. I ask around again only for someone to tell me that they were found dead. No one could tell me anything about my baby. It seemed nobody asked about her. Seeing as how this is the police station, I thought you'd know something." Of course Maria tweaked a few things in her explanation but most of it was true.
"Alright, I understand you're frantic and upset, but please lower your voice."
"It's my daughter!" Maria exploded. "Now is not the time to tell me to calm down. Go and find out what happened to my baby!"
"What is your full name?"
"Maria Lorde. My baby's name is Sara Lorde- McCutchen." Maria turned away obviously frustrated, angry, and worried. She caught sight of a man with a toddler.
"Mama." The child said staring at another woman. The sight brought tears to Maria's eyes.
"Alright, please take a seat. Detective Willows will be with you shortly."
An hour later and Maria's mind was finally eased. It turns out that social services had custody of Sara after she was found in the closet. Though her mind wasn't fully put to rest until two hours later when she'd finally been reunited with her daughter. Maria stayed in London for a couple more weeks to sort out all of the paperwork before heading back to the US.

"Maria!" Elena exclaimed as she saw her older sister for the first time since she ran out of the room because of something Klaus said. Then she noticed the child. "And baby?"
"Elena, this is Sara." Maria gestured to the sleeping child in the buggy.
"Sara. Right. And who is Sara?"
"Your niece."
"Oh. Wait-what? My niece." Her eyes widened in realisation. "You had a kid?"
"Yeah. Can we get going now?" She asked. The airport was pretty busy. "Thanks for the ride."
"It's fine." Once they got to Maria's car, driven by Elena, Elena asked the question. "So you go to England for a couple weeks and you have a kid?"
"I had a kid for the past two years. It's not an out of the blue thing."
"It kinda is."
"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. 5-ish months before Mom and Dad died, I found out I was pregnant. Remember me locking myself in my room never letting anyone except Jenna in?"
"Jenna knew?!"
"Yeah. She was the only one who did."
"Does Jeremy?"
"No. I'm going to tell him. I'm sorry, Elena but there are some thing I can't tell or won't tell you about me."
"Okay. I can deal with that."
"Thank you. Now what's going on with the whole Klaus stuff?"
"Well, he didn't die. But his dad Mikael is dead. Stefan and Damon are having dinner with Klaus and Elijah."
"Is dinner code for fighting? Because Sara's sleeping and she can't hear us right now so it should be fine."
"No, they're actually having dinner to talk about a solution. Damon thinks Elijah is on our side. Bonnie has reunited with her mom, and they're together trying to break a spell that will open a coffin that harbours a weapon that can kill Klaus. And I'm supposed to be with Caroline who's father is transitioning."
"Her dad? Bill Forbes is back?"
"Yeah. He was healed with vampire blood, and then he was attacked and died and now he's transitioning because he refuses to drink blood because he absolutely hates vampires. I mean he tried to condition Caroline's body to reject blood in order to make her less vampy.  But he's still her dad. He may sometimes be crappy but he's her dad."
"Oh poor Caroline."
"Yeah." Sara started to wake up. 
"Hey can you pull over? Sara hasn't had food in a while. She's pretty hungry."
"Of course." Elena said, sympathetic to her sister. "So who's the father?"
"I don't know."
"You don't know as in you got so drunk you don't remember a thing about that night? Or you don't want to tell me?"
"Not now Elena. Please?"
"Woah. You never say please. Ever. This must be serious." Maria glared at her sister. "Alright I get it. So why'd you ask me to pick you up? Why not Michael or Tiana?"
"I thought we could do some sister bonding thing?"
"Sure. Not like we've clashed at everything since we were kids."
"I take half the blame for that. Lately I've learned how important family is, and I'd very much like to fix our relationship. You're my sister, Elena. And despite the fact that my psychotic ex boyfriend wants you for your blood, and your psychotic ex boyfriend currently has no emotions, I think we can work this out."
"Well, we can try. I'll put in the effort and stuff as long as you do too."
"Besides we haven't clashed at everything. Remember when you were 11? It was your birthday party, and"
"Caroline kept trying to upstage me. She didn't like me being in the spotlight. That was when you stepped in and told her to shove it."
"Yep. We had a moment- you and I."
"And there was that time when Jeremy was being picked on and we both banded together for him."
"Tyler Lockwood was a pain in the ass then, and he's still a pain in the ass now. But he's hot."
"That he is." Elena chuckled.