19

Maria had slept over that night, and was actually up pretty late because Sara wasn't tired and kept her up. She walked down to the kitchen, after hearing voices. She saw Elena, Stefan and Damon there. She walked to the coffee machine bumping past Stefan giving him a very evil eye.
"Something wrong there?" He asked innocently.
"I don't know. Is there?" She asked.
"I don't know. It, uh, it kinda seems like you've uh, got a problem with me."
"Well, did you do something I don't know about?"
"So what if I did?"
"So what if you did, indeed." She agreed. "Maybe you should watch your back. Never know who you might have pissed off."
"Or maybe you should." Stefan stressed the 'you'
"Stefan." Damon said in a warning tone.
"I don't take too kindly to people threatening me. Especially not humans."
"A human with very powerful friends, Stefan. You should be careful. I have people who could make you disappear. Very easily."
"Okay and, uh, what's stopping me from making you disappear. Right now?"
"Well, the fact that the moment you lay a hand on me, you'll gain more supernatural enemies than you know of. I know a couple witches and warlocks- about 20 of them? I know a werewolf or two- they're pretty good hosts- and I know a few vampires. And I may hate Klaus but he doesn't hate me. And he's not a good enemy to make."
"Well, look who has connections."
"I admit I'm a lucky human."
"Exactly. Just a human. Dead weight really. You have all these powerful friends, or so you say but what do they get."
"The pleasure of my company." Maria said sarcastically. "Stefan, I'm over any and all insecurities when it concerns my friends. But I'm being serious. You threatened my sister's life. That's not okay with me, and I will get back at you."
"Guys. Let's just focus on what Elijah said this morning. Instead of the hatred between the two of you." Damon said.
"It was their mother Esther who was sealed in that coffin." Elena said. just as eager as Damon to change the subject.
"As in the original witch?"
"What? How is she even alive? Thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."
"I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple connections in the witching community. Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."
"She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus."
"Well, not anymore...at least not according to Elijah."
"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds."
"Anyone else feeling a little used right now?"
"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us." The doorbell rang and Elena went to answer it. "I believe him."

Elena went and opened the door. No one was there, but on the doormat were two envelopes with an ornately-handwritten "Elena Gilbert" and "Maria Lorde" on the front. She picked them up, closed the door, and turned around. Everyone was in the lobby near her. 
"What is it?" Damon inquired.
"It's an invitation. 'Please join the Mikaelson Family, this evening at seven o'clock. For dancing, cocktails and celebration.' "
"Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?" Stefan asked, seriously confused.
"The Original Family." Elena and Maria said at the same time.
"It's not bad enough they're moving into town, now they want a housewarming gift?" Damon exclaimed.
"Wait, there's a note on the back. 'Elena, I think it's time I finally meet with you and your sister.' "
"How about yours?" Damon asked.
"Mine says, 'Maria I hope you can make it to the party.' Ugh." She groaned.
"It looks like it says more than that." Stefan chimed.
"Why do you care?"
"Well I want to know if you're with us, or with the Mikaelsons."
"No no. There is no 'us'. I'm on the side of my siblings which means I hate you, and I hate Klaus. Elena, get your boys out of here, we need to talk and find clothes for the dance."
"Elena's not going. Neither are you. An entire family of the first ever vampires are going to be there and you two are human."
"I'm going because I need to hurt Klaus. And Elena will make her own decision as to whether or not to come. She's an adult."
"So you'd let your sister go to what could possibly end with her death?"
"I'm a fan of free will. I could never force her to do anything. And if she stays, she stays. I'm just going to support her decision so she won't have to do things behind my back because she's afraid I would never allow her. Elena, they need to go now."
"Why the urgency?"
"Because, it's a dress emergency."
"You don't wear dresses."
"Yes I do. But only on some occasions. I need a dress that I can conceal a stake in. And some vervain vials."
"Okay. Stefan, Damon, I need you both to go. She's right. Go get yourselves some tuxes or something."
"We'll be back later. Don't fall down the stairs and die, Elena. Feel free to do so Maria." Stefan said, and walked out.
"I need to Skype Jeremy." Was all Maria said.

"So you're a witch? You're a full blooded 100% witch?"
"You watch The Secret Circle?" Maria looked at her disbelievingly. "You actually took my advice and watched it. You make me so proud, little sis."
"Yes, but that's not the point. You're a witch, like Bonnie?"
"Yes."
"Why did you tell me?"
"Most people would be wondering why I didn't tell you."
"Well, I'm close to vampires, and there's a lot of ways to get that sort of information out of me. Or someone could compel me to tell them everything about you."
"And who would do that?" Maria asked, testing her sister.
"Klaus."
"Exactly."
"And also in case we ever needed a secret weapon."
"Basically."
"So why did you tell me?"
"Because of Esther. She's a witch on the other side and they stalk everyone. If she knows my name, then it's possible she saw me from the other side and knows who I am. Especially since she was seriously stalking you."
"And she wants to meet both of us at the same time."
"And could spill my secret to you. She might ask me for a favour. A magical one, and if I don't want to do it she might try to force me. She's older and stronger. And that's where you come in."
"What do you need me to do?"
"What's something small that is inconspicuous at a ball, and who can we trust to keep it safe and quiet who's going to the ball?"
"I have a hair clip? Or we could use a pendant. And give it to Caroline. She may talk a lot but if it's extremely necessary, she'll hold on to the secret."
"Pendant sounds good. Call Caroline and tell her the plan."