CHAPTER I

The room was spinning as I searched for her. We were supposed to have each other's backs, to make sure that the other wasn't taken advantage of by some unknown loser.

I remember when she left, it had been one or two hours ago, she had introduced me to two guys. I didn't remember their names or what they looked like for the moment, all I knew was that these two were brothers.

We sat with them, drank with them, even laughed a little, when suddenly, I turned to her to ask which one of the two she wanted but she wasn't there. She was gone.

I got up, trying not to fall over, which I did, knocking over a lamp and then running off to find her.

Though my head was pounding and my eyes felt dry as ash, I had to keep looking. I rushed through an ocean of drunks trying to dance as best as they could.

After a long while of running, my legs couldn't take it anymore. I stood where I was and called out for her.

"Melissa-a!" I yelled, "Where are you?" I was dizzy and I couldn't find her, she was my ride home. I smelt puke and beer everywhere. It was pretty normal I guessed. I waited for a response as the loud music thumped in my ears.

No one answered me. My guess was that she wasn't there. So I stuck my hand into my purse, searching for my cell phone as if it were gold. Finally after a long while I lifted it to my ear.

"Melissa" I yelled once more, "Where are you-u?" I waited impatiently, I didn't like being drunk it was awful. All I got were flashbacks of the beginning of the party and that wasn't making the situation any better.

"Stace?" she asked giggling, there was someone with her, I could tell but I wasn't sober enough to identify the voice, "I-I'm kind of busy. I can't take you home. Get-t yourself a ride with someone else." Who was I going to ask? Everyone was just way to drunk to get me home and I had no money to take a cab.

I looked down to my feet and said, "Well girls, get ready were taking the long way home." I laughed. I had no idea why I was talking to my shoes. I walked out the door of Jordan's or Jeremiah's or something's house and darted to the road. As I started on my route, I realized how quiet it was outside, how deserted. The house was loud and crowded. You couldn't look down and admire your own two feet. Everyone was squished together. And I might add that most of the guys had really bad B.O.

I wobbled towards the corner of the road, looked both ways and crossed. I looked around at all the trees. They seemed to be watching me. I suddenly had a vision of them coming to life and eating me. I was so afraid that I quickened my pace, practically running down the street.

After what seemed to be long enough, I slowed down and continued tiredly but happily all the same towards my home.

* * *

I woke up the next morning a couple of blocks from my house, on the ground behind a wild berry bush, you know the ones parents told you not to eat the berries because you might die or some other lie like that. My head was throbbing with pain. I couldn't remember why I stayed there and not continued home. I had an aching neck pain. I really didn't know why. You just slept funny, I reassured myself.

The sun was brightly shinning high in the sky as I got up to my feet. Quickly I checked my cell phone for any messages. Thirteen missed calls, all from Melissa. I listened to the first one. A drunk message. The second one was as well, so I decided to delete them all. Then suddenly I noticed the time, I was going to be late for work. I dialed Janice.

"Janice," I said to the phone, "it's Stacy." I started towards my house as I listened to her response. "Okay. Ya. Look I'm going to be late, can someone take my shift, I'll close the place after if you'd like, I just can't get there for mine."