Chapter Sixty-Two: Oracion

[Author's Note: This chapter is still raw; haven't gotten to editing it yet. I just want to post it for you guys just before my face falls flat on the keyboard because I'm really very very very sleepy na.]

We get back to our ancestral house just when the church bells sound the call for the evening oracion.

*That's the old name for the Angelus, guys. Just so you know.*

Pagka-akyat namin sa bahay, I rush to the oratorio at the other end of the comedor kung saan naka-set up yung mga round tables kanina for lunch. Naligpit na nina Temyong yung mga tables and chairs so it's back to being Lola Doray's oratorio. Sure enough, my Lola Doray is there. Naka-luhod na si Lola Doray in front of the life-size image of Santa Martha and the rest of the saints under her care.

*I would want to mention them all here pero even I get confused and forget who is who sa dami nila.*

Lola Doray is kneeling on her own kneeler.

Remember the kneelers and the seats-of-state that they removed from the front of the altar before the pews sa church that I told you about earlier? My Lola Doray took hers home —pati din siguro yung mga ibang families who actually cared about those kneelers kasi meron din sa bahay ni Tito Vic at ng Lola Idang— and now, she uses them to pray. But what I did not expect is to see Jake standing just behind her.

My Lola Doray finishes the oracion with a final amen. Jake helps her up as I approach.

Me: Good evening, Lola. Mano po.

She obliges me with her hand.

Doña Doray: God Bless you.

Jake takes her hand para mag-mano and Lola Idang lays her hand on his head in response to his gesture.

Joaquin: Good evening po.

Joaquin asks for her hand to do the same pagka-tapos na pagka-tapos ni Jake. Artie and Caleb follow suit.

Doña Doray: Kumusta naman doon kay Candida? Sino pa ang pumunta?

Me: Just us, si Tita Cora po and her guests.

Doña Doray: Eh si Victor, hindi na sumunod?

Me: No na po, Lola. He was waiting for someone at may pag-uusapan din yata sila. Although he said na he was gonna see if maka-sunod siya but eventually he did not na.

Doña Doray: Gutom na ba kayo?

Me: We just came from a pretty heavy merienda, Lola.

Doña Doray: Ano oras kayo luluwas ni Sean, Jake?

My eyes dart from Jake to Joaquin. There's a finality to Lola Doray's question directed towards Jake na sagot sa pamimilit ni Joaquin to be the one to take me home.

Jake: Mga alas-nueve po, palilipasin lang po namin ang traffic sa may crossing sa Los Baños.

You can see the disappointment in Joaquin's face immediately. Pero alam naman niya very well that he should not force the idea.

*At ayaw ko pa magka-duel dito sa bahay, please lang. That tense situation at the open air court kanina, I don't want a part two of that here at the house.*

Doña Doray: Bueno, kumain kayo mamaya bago kayo umalis. Sabihan niyo lang any mga utusan kung gutom na kayo, hihiga na muna ako.

Me: I'll take you to your room na, Lola.

_ _ _

Me: Lola, please don't forget ha, Gala Night na ng play namin next Saturday. Di ba, you have your check-up due na this month? So, you can meet Doctor Bravo in the afternoon, then you watch the play in the evening.