Chapter Five: Boys of the Same Feather

I kinda like yung MWF sched ko. My first class started at second period and by 2:00 pm my classes are done. At least may time ako a day ahead para sa Math Workbook ko para bukas. If hindi ako feeling lazy today, this Math thing would be so easy. It's the start of the semester pa lang naman so, bahala na muna.

My blockmates were heading to the Caf and sabi ko I'll follow pagkatapos ko sa University Shop at MVP dahil balak ko palitan yung lanyard ng ID ko. I decided to get a darker blue lanyard na may white logo ng university pero hindi kasing loud ng ibang designs available there. After that nagdecide ako na sumunod sa Caf. I passed by K-Hall and turned right to the covered college walk papuntang Caf sa Gonzaga Hall.

I don't even know kung ano yug plano ng blockmates ko but I'm sure hindi na rin ako sasama after. Tinatamad ako today. I turned right at Gonzaga to head to the Caf entrance. When someone called my attention.

Joaquin: Hey!

Napalingon ako sa left ko and the tall figure of Joaquin was there.

Me: Oh, hi!

Joaquin: Where are you off to?

Me: Here lang sa Caf, gonna grab something to drink. My blockmates said to meet here.

Joaquin: Ah may gawin kayo?

*I swear, sablay talaga ang Tagalog nitong si Joaquin. He gets away with it because of the way he looks and his charm.*

Me: Uhm, not really sure. Tambay, I guess? My class ended kanina lang. I don't think they made plans yet. What about you?

Joaquin: Just finished with class din. Was about to come inside tapos I saw you. Tara!

We made our way inside the Caf. Hindi naman masyadong crowded at this time. It was easy to spot yung blockmates ko at a table.

Me: Joaquin, lemme ask them muna kung ano plans nila, Wait ah.

So derecho ako sa table with my blockmates to ask them.

Me: So, what's the plan, guys?

Sass: We haven't decided pa eh. Si Gizmo gusto lang pumunta ng Fully Booked. Everyone else wants to go to UP Town Center.

Gizmo: Hindi pa complete ang stores sa Town Center anyway. We're waiting for Paula. She's having something signed sa Academic Affairs. Sama ka ba?

Me: Text me na lang what you decide, I'll just follow. I need to do something lang. See yah?

Pagtalikod ko, I was surprised na sumunod pala si Joaquin sa akin and he was just right behind me. For sure narinig niya yung sinabi kong may something to do lang pero kakasabi ko lang na talagang wala naman just earlier. Hope he didn't notice it. So, we order our drinks, then he asks.

Joaquin: Wait, so are you doing something nga?

Me: Not really. I just want to make an excuse just in case di ko feel pumunta anywhere else. What about you?

Joaquin: Was sitting with some friends at "the bench". Join us.

Me: Okay ka lang? Me sit there?

Suddenly, napa-tawa si Joaquin while saying

Joaquin: You still believe in that stuff?

**Backtrack. Mahabang Explanation. That Stuff – there is a subculture here sa university namin. Parang Caste System lang yan. There are the Coños, The Jocks or the Athletes, The Sanggu People [student government], The Humanities People [artsy people], The Theater People [subcategory ng artsy], The Dolls [the effeminate gay types], The Geeks from Faura —I don't know what they call those from JGSOM, and the average people like me. May kanya-kanyang territory yang mga yan at yun ang mga areas that they occupy. There's this row of benches along the entrance of Gonzaga Caf that starts with an old wooden bench that school urban legend has bestowed an infamous name: The Coño Bench.