Chapter Twenty-Seven: Gravy Naman!

Literature 14: Poetry and Drama class wasn't to my liking! Can I just say, that class just reminded me of my dilemma. Hindi pa rin ako decided if I should be part of the play. I think I got the gist nung poem na Musee des Beaux Artes ni W.H. Auden pero naglalakbay ang isip ko during that class.

NatSci: Science and Society class was quite interesting. This being a very, very, very Catholic institution, yung discussion namin was about God and Science. Sabi pa nga ng professor, there is room for God in Science, that is if kung magpa-kilala siya. Then may girl from the end of the room na sinabi na nagpapakilala daw si God through the ways Science discovers how the universe works etcetera. Then napunta na yung discussion sa "The Big Bang" and how yun daw yung sinabi ni God na "Let there be light."

*Sana lang may light na sumindi para I could make up my mind.*

I walk back to G-Hall from the Science Complex after my morning classes ended.

May isa pa akong class after lunch.
I wanna have a proper lunch.
I want something with gravy.

_ _ _

"Sean, where are you going?"

I was walking around the kiosks trying to figure out kung saan ako bibili ng lunch ko when that question called my attention.

Me: Hey!

It's our Artie with the E.

Artie: Ikaw lang?

Me: Yeah, just got my morning classes over with. Trying to figure out what to get for lunch. What about you?

Artie: Same din. But I can't make up my mind pa eh.

Me: I want something with gravy sana.

Artie: You have class pa ba after this?

Me: INTACT 1:30pm

Artie: You want something with gravy? Eh di KFC na lang tayo. We still have time.

Me: You wanna drive out of campus during lunch break?

*These things don't usually go well for me. Flashback to yesterday when sinamahan ko si Joaquin to get supplies for Nerissa during lunch break?*

Artie:  No, let's take a trike.

I never expected Artie to be the guy who takes a trike. Pero yeah, it's such a practical thought if you just wanna cross the street to grab a bite to eat.

_ _ _

Two-piece hot and crispy chicken with rice, extra rice, regular coleslaw, and lots and lots of gravy.

Artie: Stress eating?

I haven't had KFC chicken in weeks. This feels so worth it lalo na today.

Me: Sorry, pardon my manners, halata ba?

Artie: Yeah. Mind telling me about it?

*I won't bore you guys with another synopsis so fast forward na lang tayo to the second half of this conversation after ko mai-kuwento kay Artie what happened yesterday.*

Me: So there, here I am, sabi mo nga, "Stress Eating".

Artie: May experience ka na with performing in plays, right?

Me: Classroom play, yes. But that's like grade 8 pa. Way back in high school.

Artie: Honest answer ha, curious ka ba? Like you wanna give the play a try?

Me: Mmmmm... 50-50?

Artie: Next question: How are you and Joaquin?

I made a mess by hitting a spoonful of rice and chicken soaked in gravy on my chin. Buti na lang hindi nahulog yung food or else my shirt would have stains on it.

*Wow Artie ha, you really wanna know?*

Pero of all the guys naman, Artie is the one who knows it all. Wait, not naman all. He may not know everything pero alam niya.

Artie hands me a tissue so I can wipe off my chin.

Me: It's just what it is right now.

Artie: Well, it was kind of fast.

*I have a feeling that Artie's opinion about me and Joaquin is loaded with caution. Sobra na nga ako sa caution sa bawat galaw namin in campus daily eh, pati ba naman ikaw, Artie?*

Me: Excuse me?

Artie: Don't mind me. Uhhmmm... Happy ka, right?

I look down on my plate at the very mention of the word "happy". I manage a smile at the thought of these past few weeks.

Artie: You want me to give you a nudge para maka-decide ka?

Me: Okay... Sige.

Artie: Who asked Sean para pumunta ka sa Mini Theater that afternoon?

Me: Her.

Artie: Bakit insistent si Nerissa that you accept the part?

Me: Because if I say yes, she stays as the actress to play Viola and the role won't get recast with someone else.

Artie: And if matanggal si Nerissa, knowing that she js also asking Joaquin para ma-convince ka --

Me: No naman, hindi naman ako pinipilit or whatever Joaquin even if I we both know what Nerissa wants. And besides sabi naman sakin ng director, he wants to work with me because he sees me really playing it.

Artie: Okay, okay given what you said and what the director said, if Nerissa doesn't get her way and you refuse, sino ang unang magsu-suffer? Because believe it or not, he's part of this equation too. Sa palagay mo, who is Nerissa going to take it out on?

Phone vibrates.

Joaquin is calling.

_ _ _