Chapter 8- Discoveries

28th March, 2014:

9:10 a.m.:

I lay motionless and wide awake. My gaze fell onto the wall clock. My room was basically quite childish; the baby pink wall clock with white bunny ears was a decision I made when I was seven. I did not bother to replace it with a more modern and sophisticated one, such as those people had at their workplaces.

The hour and minute hand on the clock had stated that it was 9:10. It was time for me to get out of bed to have a new refreshing start. 

I tossed the covers off of my body, abandoning it as one side of the blanket draped onto the floor. I sat at the edge of the mattress, gazing out of the window at the light blue sky with puffs of clouds scattered here and there as my hand fumbled through my bedside drawer which contained plenty of miscellaneous items. I was searching for my packet of Clean & Clear blotting sheets. My hand landed on a thin, rectangular packet with a flap. I was convinced that it was the item I wanted. 

Still effortlessly gazing out at the beautiful sky, I flipped the flap open and slid out a piece of thin, blotting paper. I dropped the packet back into the drawer and shut it with a kick of my foot. I tapped the oil absorbing sheet onto my cheeks, nose, chin, and then the rest of my face. I had high cheekbones and the perfect cupid's bow. 

I crumpled the blotting sheet and tossed it into the bin. I stood up and strided across the room, wrenching the wooden door open and out into the hall. The bathroom opposite of my room was newly renovated. Pearl white tiles lined the walls, and a marble tabletop was fixed next to the toilet. A porcelain basin was set into the tabletop, and an elegant, oval mirror was placed just above the tap. 

My facial cleanser, toothbrush, and other essentials were arranged neatly on a wall shelf on my right. I wet my face with a damp face towel and reached for the facial cleanser. I pumped out a small amount of it, about the size of a coin. I immediately applied the cleanser, massaging both of my palms onto my face allowing it to fully moisturize. My eyes were shut tightly as I groped for my face towel. When I came across a damp and soft object, I immediately turned the knob of the tap to hear the gushing of water. I grabbed my face towel clumsily and rinsed it under the tap.

I bent down, allowing myself to splash water directly onto my face. I did so, and used the face towel to dry myself up. I haven't opened my eyes yet. I was just thinking about doing so. 

And then the nightmares came.

I began devoloping images of menacing creatures, humans hanged on tree branches, and a face that scarred me for life. 

It had pale skin, and slits for eyes. It had a sharp and pointy nose, and a hole for a mouth. Dark and frothy blood was spurting from it. 

I was scared to open my eyes. I feared that the same creature, or whatever it was, would be appearing right behind me, possibly suffocating me to death or whatever way possible. 

Should I open my eyes? I wondered to myself.

Should I overcome my fear? 

Should I face this damned creature? 

. . .

I opened my eyes. All I saw was my reflection. There was nothing behind me. No demons, no creature that I imagined, not a single being except me, alone in the bathroom, alone washing my face, alone getting ready for the day. 

I resumed with my morning routine. What happened earlier had left me in complete shock and immobility. I had no expression for the rest of the day. I sometimes saw a dark shadow or an intruder running in the upstairs hall. But everything was just my imagination. 

7:00 p.m.:

I had gone grocery shopping. In my cart there were a few cartons of milk and juice, some baskets of vegetables and fruits, cans of potato chips and sodas. 

I walked down the aisle of candy. So many sweets to choose from, so many sugary bits. On the other side, the shelves displayed chocolates: Ferrero Rocher, Cadbury, etc. There was a vast variety of dark, milk, and white chocolate. I couldn't resist to get some. 

Instead of picking an expensive brand, I decided to go with an ordinary bar of Kit Kat. I just wanted a light midnight snack. 

I pushed my shopping cart to the cashier, queueing behind a plump woman. I assumed she was in her mid forties; I couldn't tell much from the back. She wore a translucent violet blouse, matching it with a pair of worn-out jeans. She had black shoulder-length curly hair. Her appearance was quite outstanding, but it hardly caught anyone's attention.