chapter 10

After the licence to party the cities inhabitants quickly got to work on decorating the city preparing for the celebrations. Unfortunately for Ben and Jack they were ushered off to the palace that sat behind the stepped pyramid. Street parties were for the lower class.

The palace was a beautiful building that was made up of square stone buildings made with large bricks that seemed to slot together like a perfectly machined jigsaw and were carved with beautiful pictograms. In the centre was a small stepped pyramid, each step was covered in an array of different coloured flowers and instead of stairs it had a small waterfall running down its side. The flowers perfume permeated the whole area. It was the top of this smaller pyramid that they were taken up to by a hidden set of small stairs on its far side. On the top was a large open room that had been made up as a makeshift dining room.

A long stone table was set with golden plates, goblets, and dining utensils. In the centre of the table was a large roasted hog with an apple in its mouth, it was surrounded by bowls of what looked like different fruits and other dishes. The whole area was lit by four metal fire pits, one that stood in each corner of the room.

Ben and Jack sat at one side of the stone table while King Achotacha and his English speaking -educated at oxford- daughter Xiuhcoatl sat at the other side. Unfortunately for Ben she had changed out of the revealing animal skin bikini and was now wearing a purple dress made of flowing silk. Woof was laid on the floor next to Ben, his tail twitching slowly, his wings occasionally moving to stretch. He looked bored. Behind the King out the silk draped opening, the large central pyramid loomed up behind him looking imposing. The music from the city's party could be faintly heard, it was a very jaunty tune.

"So, this is nice." Ben said as he sat there awkwardly not knowing what to do or say in this situation. Xiuhcoatl translated for her father, who smiled and nodded. He looked nothing like her. He was old, too old to have a daughter as young as her. His skin was dark and almost leathery, wrinkled beyond belief. When he smiled his eyes didn't smile with him, they seemed cold, hard and calculating. The King spoke, Xiuhcoatl listened and translated.

"It is an honour to have you in my city."

"Erm," Ben really was not good in formal situations, he looked at Jack for help but he was too busy looking at the gold cutlery, he looked to Woof instead who was licking the feathers on his paw. Great. "Thank you, it is an honour to be here." He felt he pulled it off alright. She translated again. Then the King spoke again.

"So what do we have the honour of calling you?"

"Oh, um, I'm Ben." He said placing a hand on his chest. He realised he was speaking slower than he should of been and quickly sped up. "This is Jack." He pointed to his friend.

"Alright mate." He said with a quick nod and cheeky smile.

"And this is Woof." Ben turned to point at Woof, who was currently licking his large feathery balls. Ben inwardly groaned. Xiuhcoatl translated and then the King spoke again.

"Good, strong warrior names. I can see why the gods sent you." Ben and Jack looked at each other.

"Sent us to do what exactly?" Ben enquired; he could feel the heavy fingers of panic slowly tightening around his chest. He just knew it was going to be something awful. Not translating or waiting for her father to speak Xiuhcoatl answered.

"To rid our land of a great evil that has plagued us for years." He knew it, it was going to be some big giant monster and it was going to eat him and he was going to die and be digested and turned into monster shit. Jack reached over and put a reassuring hand on his back. Ben didn't move or say nothing; his face was frozen in a half smile. Woof's tufted ears had perked up when it heard there was a great evil; it had momentarily stopped licking itself to listen in. After a moments silence and with Ben not speaking Xiuhcoatl frowned. "Is something wrong?" Ben still didn't answer, he was too lost in thoughts of been eaten alive.