Chapter 35- Alice

Chapter 35- Alice

I gulped as I jerkily veered the shuttle around a tall skyscraper, one that stood above the ruins of the city below. Having narrowly missed the third one of it's brethren in a row already, I was gripping the wheel with all of my might. I could not believe how anyone could do this for fun or anything.

It  gave me anxiety. I shuddered and pulled the throttle up again, sharply turning upwards. Shrieks were heard in the back. "Oops," I muttered. "Sorry!" I called back. I still haven't gotten the hang of this yet, and I didn't think I ever will.

I finally relaxed a bit as we headed above the city and into the clear skies. The shuttle was swerving haphazardly across the sky, as I really didn't know how to drive it. Honestly, with all of my emotional torment weighing heavily against me, it was a miracle we were still in the sky. "Woah!" I muttered as the capsule shuttered once more, heading straight towards us. I turned us right and we took another sharp turn, making me feel nauseous.

Ian and Sin were crazy to do this, to enjoy it, and to do this in their daily jobs. Did they never feel anxiety on how one slip of the hand could mean death? One mishap with the engine, or one malfunctioning piece could put an end to them?

My hands nearly slipped off the wheel due to sweat coating them, and I quickly wiped them on my lab coat. Attaching my hands firmly on the wheel again, I vowed to never let go. "Excuse me, miss?" A tense voice called in the back.

"Y-yes?" I asked, trying to drive the plane higher.

"I am a trained pilot, perhaps I could help?" He suggested, and I nodded, too frightened to look back despite the open swathe of sky. "Alright," He started explaining all of the switches and whatnot, as well as the pedals and levers. I nodded, slowly committing it all to memory.

His hands guided me, and his voice told me what to do. He gave me the directions to the Etanilam Galaxy, although I already knew due to the trip I had previously made with Sin.

Sin. I had left him there to the mercy of the wardens. His weathered cries still filled my mind and shook me and my soul. My hands unconsciously squeezed the wheel with all of my might. The Oriehn whose name I later learned was Hrypa, chuckled and gently took my hands off the wheel.

"It's all right, your friend will be fine," He assured. I stared at him. "I know. It's always hard to make a decision on behalf of the greater good," Hrypa patted my arm sympathetically.

I nodded and gulped painfully. "Do...do you think he hates me?" I asked, muttering.

"Hates?" He raised an eyebrow. "Taliesin Graile?" I nodded, my throat dry, anticipating his answer. He laughed suddenly, and I blinked. "Taliesin Graile certainly does not hate you." I breathed out a sigh of relief and closed my eyes.

Maybe there was still hope for Taliesin and I. Still hope for us. Maybe there was still something left.

"Thank you," I said softly. "I needed that assurance."

Hrypa smiled at me, nodding, then his expression turned to one of panic. "Swerve left!" I immediately obeyed, and this turn was smooth and executed perfectly as we passed a stray asteroid. "Nice one," He whistled, and I grinned. "I think you somewhat got the hang of it!"

"Thank you for your help, Hrypa, I really could not have done this without you," I say, and he smiled at me.

"I will go check on the others," Hrypa said and headed to the back. I nodded at his retreating figure and looked forward again. Closing my eyes and piloting the shuttle forward in a straight line, I leaned backwards and sighed.

After a while, the Oriehn Agglomeration came into view. The smallest moon, Crete was smoldering. Crious, the frozen moon, lay desolate, although I knew it was anything but. The planet, Oriehn came into view and I cringed at the sight of it. The landscape was barren, and wisps of smoke were still hanging in the air. Bodies still littered the ground, and wreckage surrounded them.

Many of the Oriehns were looking at their home planet and some shed a few tears over the possible family and friends on the ground. A lump grew on my throat as I realized I was the reason for all of this heartbreak and sorrow.

Blinking tears back, I set my face in a mask of no emotion. My only job was to get the Oriehns to Crious, and then I would go back for Sin. As I rounded the planet towards the starboard side, I noticed small specks in the distance.

"Hrypa! Are those normal?" I frowned as I watched the glittery specks grow larger. He came and shielded his eyes against the sun, frowning at them.

"No, they look like capsules to me," he said and shrugged. "Not regular ones our pilots use, but it may be a new version."

I stared, incredulous, shaking my head."No, Hyrpa. Th-those are human capsules," I stuttered. "What are they doing here?" I whispered, and Hrypa blinked. He nodded and glared at the incoming capsules.

"Those are definitely ones built to attack, Alice. We need to head back," he warned. I accidentally brushed his arm as I moved to switch the course, and he hissed in pain. I moved to apologize, but he cut in. "It's fine. Focus on the task at hand."

I nodded and tried to turn the shuttle around. The capsules were arriving and nearing with alarming speed, and I shuddered. "It is not working. I think it is broken," I said in a panicked tone.

"What?" he asked, his eyes widening.

I nodded gravely, biting my lip as I tried again to turn the capsule around except in vain.

"Okay, we just need to find the lever...all capsules and shuttles have it, it's a built-in mechanism. It should be down here somewhere. We use it in situations like this. Just push on the throttle and try to turn, I will get it done in a second," Hrypa instructed, and I nodded.

"It's not working." he announced after a minute. "It does appear that the lever is broken as well." I groaned and cursed.

"I have no choice but to go forward, Hrypa. We need a new strategy," I said and drove forward. "I can turn but it's very gradually, and I have to go at high speed while doing it."

"Then do it. Go as fast as you can around the capsules, and then turn as fast as you can. Are there any weapons on this capsule?" He questioned.

I nodded and pointed towards the back, focusing on driving. "The password is death," I called, and he ran that way. I faced forward again and glared directly at the capsules. "Hold on, I will get you all out of here safely."

I may have spoken too soon, though, as the capsules started firing upon us.