Myrnin nodded soberly and put the book aside. And stood up. He was tall, with long legs and arms like a human stick bug. He was wearing a weird mixture of clothes to, not homeless guy weird, but definitely funky.

Extended his hand to me, bending over to do it. I carefully took it and shook. Myrnin looked surprised, then delighted.

"A handshake, is that the correct way to greet these days?" He asked. "Even for such s lovely young woman? I know it's common among men, but among women it seems quite a violent gesture-"

"Yes" I said quickly. "It's fine. Everybody does it"

"Quickly" he said. "What's the elemental designation for rubidium?"

"Um...rb"

"Atomic number?"

I frantically call to mind the periodic table. "Thirty seven"

"Group number?"

"Group one" I said. "Alkali metal. The period number is five"

"And what are the dangers of working with rubidium, young Anastasia?"

"It spontaneously burns when exposed to air. It also reacts violently to water"

"Solid, liquid, gas, plasma?"

"Solid to forty degrees centigrade. That's the melting point" I wanted for the next question, but Myrnin only cocked his head to the side and watched me. "How did I do?"

"Adequately" he said. "you've memorised well. Memorisation is not science, and science is not knowledge" Myrnin stalked over to a leaning stack of books, tossed some carelessly to the floor, and found a threadbare volume that he flipped open without much regard for the fragile papers. "Ah! Here. What is this, then?"

He held the book out me. I squinted at the dim illustration. It looks like a little small square sail, full of wind. I frowned and shook my head. Myrnin snapped the book shut with a sharp clap, making me jump.

"Too much to teach her" he said to Amelie. "I don't have time to coddle infants, Amelie. Bring me someone who understands the basics of what I'm trying to-"

"I've told you before, there is no one available who would recognise that symbol, and in any case, the field has never attracted the most trustworthy of characters. Give Anastasia a chance. She's a quick study" her voice was cooled to a measured, icy tone. "Don't force me to make it an order, Myrnin"

He stopped moving, but didn't raise his head. "I don't want another student" he sounded resentful.

"Nevertheless, you must have one"

"Have you explained the risks?"

"I leave you to that. She is yours, Myrnin. But make no mistake, I will hold you responsible for her performance, and for her safety"

I heard the click of metal and when I looked behind me, she was gone. She left me alone. With him.

When I turned back to him, Myrnin had raised his head and was staring straight at me. Warm, brown eyes no longer amused.

"It seems neither of us have a choice" he said. "We'll just have to make the best of it then" he fumbled through the stacks of books and came up with one that looked just as threadbare and fragile as the first one he mishandled, but this one was much thinner. He thrust it towards me, and I took it. The inscription on the cover was in English. Metals in Egyptian inscriptions.

"The symbol I showed you is copper" Myrnin said. "Know the rest when you come back tomorrow. I would also expect you to read basil Valentines last Will and testament. I have a copy here" he shoved books around, almost frantic, and located something with the cry of satisfaction. He held that out to me as well. "Pay special attention to the alchemical symbols. You'll be expected to copy them out until you know them by heart"