Chapter 18

Eve was so intense about it that not even Justin, three beers down, was able to exactly say no. Micheal didn't say anything, just watched Miranda wth eyes that were way to clear for somebody who'd had the same amount of drink as Justin. As Eve cleared stuff off the dining room table and set up a single black candle in the centre, I wrung my hands nervously, trying to get Micheal's attention. When I did, I mouthed What do we do?

He shrugged. Nothing, I guessed. Well, nobody but Eve believed in it, anyway. I supposed it couldn't really hurt.

"Okay" Eve said, and sat Miranda down in a chair at the end. "Justin, Micheal, Ana- sit down"

"This is bullshit" Justin said.

"Just - please. Just do it, okay?" Eve looked stressed. Scared. Whatever she and Miranda had been doing upstairs with those tarot cards had really made her nervous. "Just do it for me"

Micheal slid into the chair at the other end, as far from Miranda as he could get. I sat next to him, Justin grabbed the seat on the other side, leaving Eve and me the closest to Miranda, who was shaking like she was about to have a fit.

"Hold hands" Eve said, and grabbed Miranda's left and Justin's right. She glared at me until I followed suit, taking Miranda's other hand and Micheal's. that left Justin and Micheal.

"Whatever" Micheal said and took Justin's hand.

"Oh, god, guys, homophobic much? This isn't about you being manly men, it's about-"

"He's dead! I see him!" Miranda shouted.

I flinched as Miranda practically screamed it out. All around the table, we froze. Even Justin. He fought the urge to laugh, I could see his shoulders shaking. Eve bit her lip, there were tears in her eyes.

"Somebody died in this house! I see him. His body lying on the floor..." Miranda moaned, and thrashed around in her chair.

I, unable to stop myself looked at Micheal, who was staring at Miranda with cold, slitted eyes. His hand was gripping mine tightly.

"There's a ghost in this house! A unquiet spirit!" She said.

"Unquiet spirit?" Justin said under his breath. "Is that politically correct for pissed off? You know, like undead American or something?"

"Somebody already died" Miranda told him. "Right here. Right in this room. His spirit haunts this place, and its strong"

"Is it dangerous?" Eve asked breathlessly.

"I-I can't tell. It's murky" Miranda says.

Justin said, "Right, dead mean walking. Can't tell if it's dangerous because wow murky. Anything else?" He asks, bored.

"Fire" she said. I see fire. I see something in the fire!" Miranda shouts.

Justin yanked his hands away from Eve and Micheal, slammed his chair back, and said, "okay, that's it. I'm out of here. Feel free to get your psychic jollies somewhere else"

"No, wait!" Eve said, and grabbed for him. "Justin, wait, she saw it in the cards-"

"She sees whatever you want! In case you didn't notice, she's a fang banger!" He shouts at Eve.

"Justin, please! At least listen!" Eve begs.

"I've heard enough. Let me know when you want to move on to table rapping or ouija boards" he says sarcastically.

"Justin. Wait! Where are you going?" Eve cries.

"Bed" he says, and went up the stairs. "Night"

I let go of Miranda and Micheal's hands, I pushed my chair back and went after him. I heard his door slam before I made it to the top, and raced down the hall to bang my fist on the wood.