Chapter 12

Days slipped away, and I just let them go. I was worried about class, but I was tired and my bruises had turned technicolor, and the last thing I wanted to do was be the centre of attention. It was better - Justin had convinced me - to do some home study and get back to class when I was better, and Monica had had some time to let things blow over.

The week slipped away. I fell into a regular routine - up late with Micheal and Justin and Eve, sleep until noon, argue over bathroom rights, cook, clean, study, do it all again. It felt...good. Real, somehow, in away that dorm life didn't, exactly.

The following Monday, when I got up and made breakfast, I had to make it for two: Justin was awake, looking grumpy and groggy. He silently grabbed the bacon and fried some up while I did the eggs; there wasn't any banter, as there had been between him and Eve a couple of mornings back. I tried a little conversation, but he wasn't in the mood. He just grunted replies. I waited until he was done with breakfast - which included a cup of coffee, brewed in the tiny little coffee maker in the corner of the counter - before I asked, "What are you doing up so early?"

Justin leant his chair back on two legs, balancing as he chewed. "Ask Micheal"

Can't exactly do that..."You doing something for him?" I asked.

"Yeah" He thumped his chair back down and brushed his hand over his hair, which still looked like a mess. "Don't expect me to dress up or anything" he said.

"What?" I asked.

"What you see is what you get" I just looked at him, frowning, trying to figure out what he was saying. "I'm taking you to class. You were going back today, right?"

"You're kidding." I said flatly. He shrugged. "You're kidding. I'm not some six year old who needs her big brother to walk her to school! No way, Justin!"

"Micheal thinks you should have an escort. Brandon was pretty pissed. He could find a way to take it out on you, even if he can't do it himself. He's got plenty of people who'd kick your ass on his say so" Justin's eyes slid away from mine. "Like Monica"

Oh, crap. "Monica belongs to Brandon?" I asked.

"The whole Morrell family does, as far as I know. He's their own personal badass. So" he rubbed his hands together. "What exciting classes do we have today?" He asks me.

"You can't go to class with me!" I whine.

"Hey, you're welcome to knock me out and stop me, but until you do, I'm you're date for the day. So. What classes?" He smiles at me.

"Calculus II, physics of sound, chemistry III, Chem Lab, and biochemistry" I told him.

"Holy crap. You really are smart. Right. I'll take some comics or something. Maybe my iPod" he says.

I kept glaring at him. It didn't seem to do any good - if anything, it made him more cheerful.

"I always wanted to be a big man on campus," Justin said. "Guess this is my chance.

"I'm dead" I moaned, and rested my forehead on my hands.

"Not yet. And that's kind of the point" he sang at me.

I was afraid Justin would make a big deal out of it, but he didn't. He even combed his hair, which turned out to make him look totally hot in ways that I was afraid to notice. Especially if I had to spend the whole day with him. He'd picked a plain white shirt and his best pair of blue jeans, which were still out at the knees and frayed at the hems. And plain black vans. "In case we have to do any retreating," he said. "Plus, kicking somebody when you're wearing flip flops, hurts"