Chapter 11

I lied in the darkness of the basement, only hearing my own breathing and the water dripping from the pipes. Burring my head deeper against my knees hoping someone would come and save me. Deep inside I knew I deserved this for being a naughty boy and not listening to my mommy and daddy. I deserved all of it, even how bad and scary it was.

I got startled at the basement door creaking open slowly yet carefully. I felt the light from upstairs hit me the more the door opened.

"Max?" a strange voice called. I lifted my head to see who it was since I didn't recognise the voice to belong to either one of my parents.

There was an older woman, probably around 50 years old wearing a suite with glasses covering her face standing at the top of the stairs holding her hand for me.

I slowly moved to stand up, taking small steps towards her. I was terrified of my parents coming and telling me off for moving.

"You're Max Young, correct?" The woman asked smiling, "I'm Judie and I'm a social worker. I'm here to take you somewhere safer."

Somewhere safer? My small 6 year old mind couldn't wrap around such thought, it was completely new to me. But I took a hold of her hand and she led me out of the dark and scary basement out of the house in to her car. My parents were both standing outside talking with a man in a police uniform.

Little did I know, that was the last time I saw the home I had the worst years of my childhood in. Or my parents.

Now I was trying to catch my breath while feeling like two walls where crushing me in the between of them. My whole body was shaking and I didn't know how to stop it.

I sat curled up in the corner of our flat's balcony in the cold autumn night butt naked. My nails where digging into my skin as I tried to stop myself from shaking, then I felt warm liquid running down my arm from where my fingers where.

I couldn't even clearly remember when or why did I come on to our balcony, the last thing I remember was being in bed with Jeremy.

"Max?" Jeremy's sleepy voice rang from the kitchen. Once Jeremy had spotted me he ran over to me pulling a blanket over by shivering naked body. "What are you doing out here, it's freezing for fuck sakes Max." Jer mumbled while helping me back onto my feet.

He carried me back in to his messy room, laying me on the bed and tucking a dozen of covers over me. "Shh, it's fine." He whispered in my ear as he wrapped his arms around me for safety.

My eyes slowly shut themselves from exhaustion and darkness surrounded me once again.

Waking up to the sounds of bickering coming from down the hallway. I slowly rose up to sit on Jer's empty bed. It was already so late that it was starting to get slowly dark outside.

Making my way closer to the door I could hear the shouting clearer and recognising the voices of Jeremy and George. I peeked out of the door to see what was going on out there after putting some clothes.

"I told you we should do something about this!" George said in a low tone.

"Yes, but I told you I have got it all under control. He's just-" Jeremy started but stopped as he noticed my waving body standing across them.

"What's going on here?" I asked with a raspy voice. They both looked at each other in a questioning manner before Jer opened his mouth to speak, "I, uhh we were just talking about work, nothing special for you to worry about." I stared at the both of them, even knowing that Jeremy was lying I let it slip. I was too exhausted to be wrapped up in whatever the hell these two morons were on about.