'No, that was sufficient.' Paul smiled, winking at George and mouthing 'well done'.

'How old did you say you were?' John asked.

'I didn't.' George said.

Paul laughed. 'He's 15 John.'

'You're a little young.' John thought.

'He's only a year younger than me.' Paul lowered his eyebrows. 'He's a good guitarist.'

'You're right, you want to be in the band?'

'Sure.' George was ecstatic but didn't show it, he remained cool and John liked that.

'Welcome to The Quarrymen.'

***

The next morning John walked into the college to see a load of faces glaring at him. He couldn't put his finger on why but he didn't mind too much.

'There you are!' Stuart ran up behind him, making John jump slightly. 'Where've you been?'

'Walking to college?' John furrowed his eyebrows. 'What's going on?'

Stuart laughed. 'You really don't know?' John shook his head. 'That band of yours, they're in the hall waiting to perform.'

'What?' John's eyes grew wide, he hadn't been informed.

'Yeah.' Stuart clapped. 'And you're late to your own gig.' He pushed John through the doors of the hall.

Paul and George were stood on the stage with their guitars. 'We need a bass.' Paul called from the stage. John turned to Stuart with a grin.

'Are they for real?' He asked, walking to the stage. 'Why aren't you in school?'

'Who are you? Our mother?' Paul smirked, George stood behind him with a smile on his face.

'There was a gas leak at school.' George explained.

'Lucky for some.'

'Indeed.' Paul laughed. 'They've shut your school too.'

'Is that what you meant?' John turned to Stuart.

'Yeah.' He laughed. 'They're not really going to perform, are they?'

'I thought we were?' Paul glanced at George.

'Yeah, so did I.'

'Oh, no!' Stuart blushed. 'I was kidding.'

'So are we.' Paul jumped down from the stage and walked towards Stuart and John.

'Oh.' He giggled awkwardly.

'Come on, let's head out.' Paul dragged John by his hand. Stuart's head tilted, grabbing hands? That's not exactly normal behaviour for two boys.

***

Stuart dragged the smoke into his mouth and blew it back out, offering John a cigarette. He declined. Paul and George had already headed home after the short practice they'd just done.

'Hey John?' Stuart said after the smoke left his lungs.

'Yes Stu?' John turned to Stuart.

'You and Paul, what's that about?'

'What do you mean?' John's eyebrows raised.

Stuart coughed. 'He held your hand earlier.'

'What do you mean?' John asked.

'He held your hand?' Stuart scowled.

'Did he?' John questioned. 'I didn't realise.' He lied.

'Is he - y'know - queer?' Stuart asked.