6- I Am Having Nightmares

“This is so cool!” I exclaim as Emmett is on my left and Eli is on my right. It’d taken a whole year of begging my brothers to get them to bring me to one of their parties before they caved and actually brought me to one. “I can’t believe you actually brought me here!”

“Well, you have to behave,” Emmett warns me. “You can drink but don’t take drinks from other people and you can dance just don’t go upstairs with anybody.”

“Yes, Dad,” I roll my eyes teasingly at him. The large house is full of seniors who are just graduating, so they’re all a year older than me but Emmett and Eli are just so popular at school that they can get invited to parties that are exclusively for seniors. I guess I’m popular by association, so they won’t like, kick me out or anything if I just act like I belong. I am wearing a dress that is tight on top but below the waist, it flows to just above my knees and shoes with a low heel so I look like I’m at a senior party but I have a wonderful boyfriend so I’m not going to fall into bed with anybody.

“I’m just looking out for you,” He justifies with a small laugh. “I have my phone so if you need me, just call, alright?”

“Em, I’ll be fine,” I tell him.

“I’ll have my phone too, Vi,” Eli says.

I grin excitedly and force them both into a group hug. “You guys are the best brothers ever. I’m going to go dance now.”

I leave them to do whatever it is that they do at parties and I find myself in the living room, dancing with everybody else. The people around me are pretty drunk because it’s already pretty late. I don’t drink though, so I just dance soberly and make sure to keep my distance from those guys that just randomly go up behind a girl and start dancing with her.

“Hey, you’re the governor’s daughter, aren’t you?” A senior girl asks me, yelling over the loud music.

I nod eagerly, kind of flattered that somebody noticed me. They are only a year older than me but it’s still pretty cool to be noticed by a group of girls who are older than me. “Yeah, I am.”

“Dance with us!” She invites me to dance with her and her friends and so I do. I dance with these girls as if we have been best friends forever. After a few songs though, I get thirsty so I go into the kitchen where one of the girls tells me that there’s drinks. When I get in there, I can see that most of them are alcoholic, but I find a can of Pepsi in the fridge and drink that. A guy offers me a cup of beer but I reject it, remembering what Emmett told me earlier about taking drinks from people.

“How are you doing?” Eli asks me, coming into the kitchen.

“Great!” I chirp. I am like a little girl wearing her mother’s heels, trying to be bigger than she really is. Taking on more than she really can handle. I don’t notice it though because to me, I’m just having fun at this party of people. “This is so much fun, El.”

“We’ve been taking care of her,” One of the girls in the group that I’d been dancing with says to my brother and she’s smiling at him suggestively.

They start flirting and then he walks away with the girl. I’m no scientist, but I think I know what they’re going to do. It’s disgusting, but I know that that’s what Eli does at parties. I mean, Emmett hooks up with girls sometimes, but most of the time, he’s a girlfriend kind of guy.

“Your brothers are so hot,” Another one of the girls coos at me.

I don’t know how to respond to that so I just smile at her and drink my pop. They realize that this is the end of our short-lived friendship and go off to dance somewhere else after saying goodbye. I think that they were only dancing with me to get to my brothers but honestly, I don’t mind all too much because it was fun dancing with them and it’s not like I’ll ever see them again. I pull my phone out of the pocket in my dress and see that I’ve already been here for an hour and a half. I told Nate that I’d call him at midnight and it was 12:15 so I should go do that. He didn’t come with me because he had his huge AP Government exam on Monday that he had to stay in and study for. I told him that I’d stay in with him and help him study but he told me that I should come to the party because my brothers probably wouldn’t ever let me go to another one and he knew how badly I really wanted to come tonight.