FOUR

Susan and Harry stayed underneath that tree for most of the afternoon; leaving Niall and myself to do most of the work at the school. I wish I could give you their conversation word-by-word, but I cannot.

All I know is that they stayed underneath that tree for forever.

I asked Niall if he was worried about Harry, or mad at him for not helping with the work. Niall told me no. "He's sad, Kendi. Taylor left him broken and I think Susan's the one to fix that broken heart."

I don't know who Taylor is, but I do not like her for breaking Harry.

Niall and I slaved away, painting the school's walls that summer afternoon. I asked him a lot of things about Harry; mostly because I didn't trust Susan with him and didn't want her to light him on fire or something like that.  Niall explained to me that Harry was sad most of the time, and he was happier here. "Maybe it's the sun," I suggested. "It does stupid things to people." But Niall mumbled something about it not being the sun, it being Susan.

That got me concerned.

Niall also told me stupid things like how Harry's favorite color was green, he hated rainshowers and loved to just cruise in his car. I didn't understand all of that, because we just don't get rain in Africa, and not a lot of people have cars, but Niall explained Harry was really rich and that was just the way it went.

All I know is that Harry and Susan came back from the tree that summer afternoon all kiss-y and hug-y and they were holding hands.

"At least she didn't set him on fire," I murmured to Niall underneath my breath.

Susan and Harry then proceeded to have a paint fight - you know, paint everywhere- and then kissed and made out on the ground until Niall said, "There's children here, you two," and then they stopped.

I was concerned.

I suggested to Susan she drink a bit more water, or take some medicine, because, "He wears headbands and he's smart and you don't believe in those things," I explained.

Susan simply shrugged and picked some more dried paint off her arm. "It doesn't matter. He is - he's just so wonderful, Kendi. And he loves me. He told me this afternoon."

"You just met him yesterday."

"It doesn't matter." She plopped down on the ground dramatically and struck a pose goofily. "Love has blinded me, Kendi."

"Or the sun."

"Shut up."

--

i just love Kendi's sarcasm, y'know?

love y'all!!

-beth