Chapter 9: Chifting Gears

I don't own nada. Vote, comment, and enjoy!
...

November 6

"AGGG! THIS IS HOPELESS!"

Ivy blinked and poked her head around the corner into the witches' workshop, then ducked to avoid a pot flying towards her head.

She was half a second too late and landed on the floor, holding her head and swearing.

Rosie was standing in front of an enormous pot, gripping her frizzy hair in her fists. A wave of heat rushed over Ivy and she gagged at the rotten stench, not unlike the smell from the Halloween tree.

"What are you doing?" She coughed, pushing herself up and waving a hand in front of her face. "Or, shall I say, trying to do?"

Rosie slammed her small fist down on the table so hard that a bottle of white liquid fell onto the floor and shattered, causing a thick white substance to float up. Ivy waved it away, her eyes still watering from Rosie's failed...what was it?

"I'm trying to create an aura elixir," Rosie hissed, kicking a rogue spellbook, "but it's not working! What am I doing wrong?"

"Time out," Ivy said, stepping over a smaller pot and holding back an eye roll. "For those of us who don't know what an 'aura elixir' is..."

Rosie grunted. "It's-in theory-an elixir that can cause those who drink it to become hyper aware of their surroundings. We'd be able to sense the very mood of humans, so that we could scare them better. If we can tell that one is terrified of the dark, we'll have something to go off of."

"Remind me to stay inside with the doors locked next Halloween."

"Good luck with that. Everybody's always either in the human world or getting ready for the after party."

Ivy opened her mouth to correct her-sorry, I meant when I get back to the human world-but thought better of it. "So, what do you mean 'in theory?'"

Rosie gave a minuscule grin. "That's because it's never been made. It was just the idea of some witch eons ago. If I make it, then I can become a witch!"

Ivy rubbed her face. "Aren't you already..."

"Apprentice, Ivy. Apprentice witch."

"So I take it that the fountain water wasn't a high enough standard."

Rosie ignored the jab and dug her hand through her pocket, pulling out a beetle shell and crushing it to dust in her fist. "Not to become a witch. I've got to create some new form of magic."

She sighed, her head flopping down on the table. "I just keep looking for ideas in these books, but nothing is working!"

Ivy frowned, her eyes running up and down the complicate instructions. "You're only 8-sorry, 108-though, right? Isn't that a little much?"

"I can do it!" Rosie pouted, crossing her arms. Ivy rolled her eyes, then noticed a stack of spellbooks hidden under a blanket. She stole a glance towards the door before turning back to the apprenticed witch, her eyes narrowing, "Do Helga and Gretchen know about this?"

Rosie bit her lip and stared at the door before leaping up and waving her hand around the doorframe. A sudden sudden pressure closed around Ivy, and her heart sped up as her ears popped. As soon as they had, the pressure eased somewhat.

"There, now they can't hear us," Rosie said, her voice oddly tin-like. Then she ran back to Ivy, who was breathing in and out deeply. Rosie rung her hands before staring up into Ivy's eyes.

"We're only allowed to go to the human world when we can prove that we can help. And not assisting another-but really working solo. They say 118 as a benchmark, but it's really as soon as you're worthy."