Chapter 7: Näher

I don't own anything.

Vote, comment, and enjoy the chapter.
...

November 4

Helga was not happy about the human staying at her house, but it was clear that Gretchen wouldn't have it. The human had spent the rest of the day with Rosie and Angus, who were more than happy to tell her anything about Halloween town.

Jack thought it was all very interesting, but it was a bit of a puzzle as well. He was on his way back to Finkelstein's, curious about the creation that the human- Ivy- had mentioned.

He really wasn't sure what to do about her. Twice now he had been accused of getting her into this mess, when she had been the one to come in the first place!

But Jack felt pity for her, too. She was to go without her own kind for a year, and stay in a place she was obviously terrified of.

Well, apparently it was worse before, when she was with Doctor Finkelstein, a treacherous voice inside his head whispered. At least now she had no danger of being electrocuted...

But it's better now, so why should I dwell on it? Jack was snapped out of his thoughts when he reached the Doctor's door. Raising one skeletal hand, he hesitated, then rapped firmly, the sound echoing around the metal tower.

Jack started lacing his fingers together nervously. He was in no mood to question a man who he respected and considered a friend!

The door swung open and Jack quickly started talking. "Doctor, I apologize for the intrusion, but-"

Jack cut himself off abruptly. Finkelstein hadn't opened the door-it was some girl. A rag doll.

Jack felt his breath hitch as he looked at her.

She was wearing a simple white dress that was too large on her shoulders and too tight around the middle. Her curtain of red hair was swept behind one shoulder, and eyes that eerily reminded him of Ivy's stared up at him.

"Are you Sally?" Jack asked, remembering Ivy's name for her.

The rag doll's mouth twitched in confusion, then she said "Yes?" Sally cleared her throat and Jack watched her blue cheeks heat up in embarrassment. "Sorry, but who are you?" Sally's voice was slow and uncertain, as though she was choosing her words carefully.

Jack hovered awkwardly on the doorway, one arm holding the other behind his back. "I'm Jack, the King of Halloween town. Welcome, by the way! It's horrid to have yo-"

"SALLY? Where've you got to now? Who are you talking to?

Sally gripped the door handle and stood aside. "I'm talking to King Jack, Doctor."

The doctor came rolling down the metal ramp and brightened upon seeing Jack.

"Jack! What can I do for you, my boy?"

Jack came slowly through the door, which Sally shut behind him. Jack could feel her gaze burning into his back, and tried to ignore the shaky feeling it gave him.

"I've...I've come to ask you something, Doctor," Jack said, desperately trying to keep his thoughts on track.

"Anything, anything!" The Doctor laughed, wheeling over where Jack stood. "Don't let me keep you, my boy. I know you have other things." He stared up at Jack, waiting.

"I've recently been to the witch's place, Doctor...and it appears..."

The Doctor sighed, his good humor gone. "Don't tell me. The human."