"Sorry," Emerson looked right up into his eyes, "that was Pete. He made food and wanted to make sure I don't make other plans."

Fuck. Sidney thought to himself.

"You're fine. Well I won't hold you up too long so you can get back."

"I'll see you tomorrow for the game?"

"Yep. Don't be late."

"Ouch! Why don't you at me next time." It was a sly comment on her part, something she and her friends would do when trying to trash one another.

"At you next time?"

"It's like when you talk shit about someone on like social media or something but don't say who it is.. so then that person reads it and knows it's about them. It's dumb but sorta funny." Emerson felt like her cheeks were heating up as she was forced to explain what it meant to Sid. He looked so genuinely confused like a lost puppy, and it was adorable.

"Oh. I don't use social media..."

"Yeah I kinda forgot about that. But trust me you're not missing much."

It turned silent as neither knew what to say next. It really showcased the fact that their was tension in the air between them.

Emerson wanted to go and eat with Pete, but apart of her wanted to ask if Sidney would want to as well. If the two were going to ever work out they would have to do things like this. She was scared she'd look foolish though, especially if he declined.

But it was worth a shot, "Sid do you uh, do you wanna come? I mean I know you live alone and all... I insist though so please don't say no- unless like you-"

"If it's alright with Pete.." His eyes lit up slightly at the offer. Though he was nervous about meeting her roommate for the first time; it was suddenly feeling like highschool all over again.

"It will be. He always makes way too much food anyways."

"I don't think I can turn down the offer then."

"You remember where I live right? We'll just meet there." Emerson felt relieved that he agreed, she didn't feel so stupid now. But Sidney meeting Pete for the first time may be an interesting experience she was starting to worry about...

"I do, and that sounds good."

The goalie felt like this was a major step forward. Looking at Sid all she could think about was his statement a week ago, "if you ever decide to face it, I'm here.", she hoped this was her subconscious way of letting it happen.

***

Emerson, Pete and Sidney sat at the dinner table eating. Pete had felt the need to go all out making chicken divan, cheesy chicken pasta with sides of fruit and salad. He had been delighted when Ems walked through the door with a plus one. But even more so when he saw who it was.

The first thing Emerson did when the two walked through the front door was race over to Pete, and made sure he knew not to say anything. With him there would be a rather large chance he'd find a way to tease her the whole time.

"I'm just saying Pete that isn't what happened!" but the thing about Pete was, he didn't like to listen. Already he found a way to make her insides twist with anger.

"Yah whatever."

Sidney sat there taking in the whole argument, and learning very quickly that Emerson was a lot more... spontaneous, than he thought. He didn't realize how poor her decision making skills were, or used to be. But he wasn't one to judge, he actually enjoyed hearing all these stories from when she was in college. There was a slight feeling of disappointment since that was a life experience he missed out on; but he wouldn't trade any part of his life back for it.