Seven

Anaheim was warm and bright as they all arrived. The air felt oddly off, and Emerson could already feel the beads of sweat forming. She wasn't the biggest fan of warm weather so this was like a nightmare. The sun beamed into her eyes, sunglasses hardly being able to help.

Sidney watched carefully as Emerson's hair blew around in the breeze, then as she desperately tried to contain it. He could see her small bouts of frustration with her long locks, and it brought a small smile to his face as the whole team made its way out of the airport. Of course there were groups of people with cameras lined as they went on their way. It was always unavoidable. Thankfully the bus was right outside and everyone was able to load on quickly. Private planes were luckily much faster than commercial ones, but his body still ached from all the sitting.

To Emerson's delight as they got onto the bus she found out the team would be heading to the hotel, grabbing a bite to eat and then practicing. There would be time for a quick nap... The game was only tomorrow and a pit was already forming in her stomach, she was. becoming a bundle of nerve. Emerson had a good feeling about the game and she was beginning to think that her time to start was coming up.

For whatever reason, her and Sidney found themselves sitting together once more on the way over to the hotel, she wasn't complaining though. As soon as he gave her his ever polite smile she was glad they were. The streets of Anaheim were quickly moving by, Emerson found herself staring at all the sights. There would be so many new cities she'd be getting to visit due to hockey and she was beyond excited. It was funny though how the guys would proceed to tell her that it would all get old soon, just a routine. She could see why, because that's how it was playing the same schools in college.

Even with the brilliant blue sky with hardly any clouds in it staring down on everyone, it didn't save Emerson from being anyless tired. Nonetheless the heat was almost making her sleepier than normal.

"Not planning on waiting for the hotel to sleep eh?" Sidney chuckled softly.

"Nmm." was all she hummed back, eyes fluttering between closed and hardly open.

"We only have a few minutes.."

"How long will we be at the hotel for?"

"Not terribly long. Two hours maybe."

"Good enough for a nap." Emerson said with a close lipped smile. Right now she didn't exactly care if she seemed insensitive or whatnot, a bed was really her calling right now. Since waking up this morning her day had been fairly odd.

***

Emerson tossed her bag down onto the floor in front of the hotel bed. The room was fairly large for just one person, and the bed looked all the most inviting. Sidney had been kind enough to promise he'd wake her when they were getting ready to go. Now, because of that she felt more comfortable taking a deep nap since someone reliable would be waking her.

Last time, Jake had forgotten to. Then proceeded to leave to go to the restaurant without her. It probably took him about ten minutes to realize his mistake before turning back. Ems wouldn't forget the look of guilt on his face as he couldn't stop laughing either. It was probably that night that the two became close, wandering down the streets of Montreal by themselves looking for the place everyone was at. That memory alone brought a smile to her face.

Just as Emerson was about to place her phone on the nightstand as she was under the pale white covers; the screen lit up. Caller ID showed the one name she had been fretting to see.. Gio.

Emerson hesitated. There could be multiple ways this phone call could go. Either or she'd end up hurting, she didn't want to let go of the past they had together.