#2 - black snow

She had never seen so many homeless people in one place. It was so different from her middle-class neighborhood in Upstate Grandvaux. Here, there was nothing but a sea of tattered tents and open pits. It smelled different too, like smoking hardwood and cotton. But for some reason, she always felt more at home here.

She weaved her way through the crowd of unwashed people, keeping her eyes peeled for her special place, the golden halo in her storm. And this time, she wasn't alone. She could barely contain her excitement.

"Hi, Tundra!" She waved as she approached the tree. The dark-haired girl turned and grinned, revealing her gap where she'd lost two teeth the week before.

"Hi, Peony!" She waved back. The young girl sat among the roots of the old tree. Peony's tree, in all its withered glory. The sun shone brilliantly through its bare branches. The snow-covered roots twisted with an age-old elegance and wisdom resonated through its trunk. Peony sat beside her friend and stretched her arms high above her head, feeling the bark gently rub against her skin.

"It's so pretty out here," Peony marveled, closing her eyes.

"Naw, I just think you're weird," Tundra replied, sitting next to her. "Nobody thinks Kyan Town is pretty except for you, and you're not even from here!"

"I don't understand why you think it's so dreary here. I think it's way better than Grandvaux."

"If you went from living in a house to living in a tent, you wouldn't think it was so nice," Tundra huffed, crossing her arms. "I wish I had a bed to sleep in."

"I told you could come and stay at my house," Peony opened her eyes and looked at her friend.

"And I told you I didn't want your pity!" Tundra snapped back, her dark eyes sparking dangerously. "And besides, I can't leave Tyke or the rest of my family."

Peony didn't reply. The two girls sat under a tree that had more years than they had youth, but they were content with the silence.

"Peak! Peak! Wake up!"Someone's voice shook her out of her memories. Willow's dark face filled her vision. Her shock white hair fell over in her eyes. "Come on, sleepyhead! What's up with you today?"

It's All Heart's Day, Peak thought, a pang of hurt stinging her chest. The day Eien died.

*****

"Are you okay?" Willow asked, sounded concerned.

"I'm fine," Peak stood from her seat and looked around at the empty classroom. Ms. Elicia and the rest of Force Phoenix and Force Dagger were gone. "Where did everyone go?"

"To combat training," Willow followed her out the door and into the pristine linoleum hallway. "Usually you're the first one out the door, Peak. Are you sure everything's okay?"

I didn't ask for your pity! Tundra's words echoed in her head. Peak whirled around, her long braid swishing around her like a whip. "I said I'm fine," she snarled. Willow stared back at her, dumbfounded for a moment, but then her eyes hardened.

"Fine," she shrugged, her automail armguard clacking as she moved. "But don't expect me to go easy on you in combat training just 'cause you're in a bad mood." She stalked past her, meeting her gaze as she passed. "It's All Heart's Day, so lighten up."

Peak's hands clenched into fists. She forgotten for a moment how hard and cynical Willow could be. Willow stalked down the hallway and disappeared around the corner. Peak followed, anger and pain broiling inside her. All Heart's Day, she thought. Stupid holiday.