'It's actually right next door to my school.' Paul smiled.

'Oh yeah? Do you like school?' John quizzed. Paul didn't know how to respond. 'It's alright if you do. You don't have to say no to impress me.'

'In all honesty, it's alright.' Paul said. 'It'll get me my grades and then I can focus on my music.'

'That's the spirit.' John laughed. 'Do your parents support your musical affiliations then?'

'My mum did.' He said, quickly moving on after he saw John's awkward facial expression. 'Dad's in a band himself, a brass band.'

'Yeah?' John smirked.

'Yeah. He got me a trumpet when I was younger but I couldn't sing so I asked for a guitar.' He laughed. 'I got one for Christmas a year after-' He stopped himself finishing the sentence. He didn't want to talk about his mum, it had been a few years but it was still a raw subject.

'I'm assuming you taught yourself to play the guitar then?' John knew better than to ask about Paul's mum. Paul was clearly grateful for the change of subject as he smiled.

'Yeah.' He said. 'I picked little bits up along the way.'

'You really are quite good, y'know?' John smirked.

'I know.' Paul laughed.

'Shall we head back then?'

'Yeah.' Paul agreed. 'I live up this way.'

'So do I.' John smiled.

The two walked for about ten minutes before John had to walk in another direction to Paul. He bid him farewell and walked back to Mendips and walked straight up the stairs to his room, feeling slightly elated.

'I'm back Mimi.' He said.

***

By the time September had come John and his band had gotten quite good. Paul had stated he knew someone who would be a great asset to the group but John had simply shook it off.

The boy got on the same bus as Paul on his way to school and he only lived round the corner to him. They got on quite well considering the few times they'd met.

John and Paul had known each other for over three months now and they were constantly visiting one another's houses to play music. Mimi had banned the pair of them playing anywhere but the patio or the garden.

John walked through the gates of the Art College and looked around a bit. He saw boys dressed in suits and ties and looked down as his own clothing. He looked a state in comparison but at least he didn't look over 40.

'You're John Lennon, aren't you?' One boy aked. 'You're the troublemaker?'

'What's it to you?' John had replied back. Girls looked at him with cautious eyes and teachers kept their hawk eyes on him.

'Welcome to Liverpool's Art College.' The headmaster said, signalling for John to take a seat on the chair opposite. 'I've heard a lot about you.'

'All good I suppose?'

The headteacher laughed, sarcastically nodding. 'Indeed.' He said. 'Have you got any questions about the college or do you just want to get straight to your lessons?'

'No Sir.'

'Follow me then.' He stood up, following the headmaster through the corridors and taking in all of the artwork displayed on the wall. One caught his notice, it was bold but not too colourful and he couldn't help but wonder about it. The headteacher noticed him stop to take a look and smiled. 'That was done by one of our best students.' He said.