Oreo

*she doesn't have a full on southern accent, only when she says certain things*

~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue

[Marie's POV]

"Guys! Come on! We were supposed to be on the road an hour ago," Dad calls from downstairs.

About two months ago, at the end of my senior year, I got my acceptance letter to Daniston University in upstate New York on a full scholarship. Apparently exceeding on ACT and SAT scores actually pay off.

For two months I've waited for this exact moment. Moving away from this crazy small town, Olive Creek. It lies between Florida and Georgia, right on the coast.

All my life I've lived here. Yep, never once have I left this town. Well, I guess if you count that one time I accidentally drove more into Florida...

Anyways, since I've lived here all my life, I pretty much know everyone and everything here. I mean, there are only about 1,200 people in the whole city. My parents, Lilly and Daniel Haltz, are pretty known here since they're big realtors. Which means that everyone knows me too. But, I'm not really the type of "it" girl nor am I the "geek" girl. I'm just me. A normal white girl stuck in a black girl's body, at least that's how everyone sees me as.

That's why I accepted the scholarship. I didn't necessarily need it but any opportunity to get out of this place is a good opportunity. So, here I am staring at my emptied room.

Sighing, I run a hand through my tousled hair. The thought of leaving this place brings a sickening feel to my stomach, but I know it's good for me. I mean, going to college is pretty exciting. Especially since it's 2, 347 miles away from this hell hole. But who's counting, right?

"Marie, get yo-"

"Coming!" I scream, cutting my mother off mid-rant.

"I'm serious Marie. It's a 17 hour drive! We didn't get up at four o'clock in the morning to pack up this whole house just for you to stare at the damn wall! Now, get down here, so we can leave." Oh, and I forgot to mention. My parents are moving with me. Well, not with me exactly but in the same city. I guess, they're just as tired of this place as I am, maybe even more.

Rolling my eyes at my mother's high pitched mini lecture, I walk out of my room and down the stairs. Huffing, I look at the empty walls where our family pictures used to be as I make my way to the front door. No one's there. Shrugging, I take out my own key out from my pocket before closing the door behind me.

HONK!

I jump from the sudden noise coming from behind me. Whirling around, I notice that it's just my parents messing with me.

"Goodness! What the heck was that?!" I yell approaching the car at the end of the long driveway.

My dad, who's behind the wheel shrugs, "You were zoning out, again. Sorry." His amused smile shows that he's clearly not sorry at all.

Squinting my eyes at both of them, I open the back door, slamming it closed once I'm safely inside. Dad starts driving off before I even get a chance to buckle up.

'Well someone's eager,' I think to myself.

Leaning back in my seat, I buckle myself in, "I got your notebook from out of the fridge. Again." Mom says in a chastising tone, placing the journal on the middle consul.

I look up sheepishly, "Thank you." Reaching up, I quickly grab it and place it gently in my lap.

Mom just shakes her head, "You can't be forgetting stuff in random places. Especially since you're going off to college. You know?"