[3] Trusting The Enemy

You were awaken by loud shouting and the clashing of weapons. You rubbed your eyes as your vision was blurry. Katsu was watching over you and Vincent was nowhere to be seen, his hand was wrapped tightly around the handle of his sword.

He knelt down and hushed you as you jumped at the loud 'thump' against the door. "It's okay princess, you're safe as long as you stay by me."

You frowned as more yelling could be heard. "Safe?" He smiled happily. "Yes, we're under attack by another ship!" You were shocked by how calm he was, wasn't this serious?

But more so, who would think they could rival the Deadly Raiders? Any smart individual would understand it was a lost cause.

"The rival ship is called 'The Enslavers'. They wanted some information we had on some previous clients since we stole their maps to locations of treasure."

"Oh...I see." You weren't sure what to make of it, but you jumped as he burst out laughing suddenly.

 "Oh god I was kidding! Treasure maps? You really think pirates do that in real life?! That's adorable really..." He held his stomach and continued chuckling, you felt your face growing hot. 

The embarrassment subsided as there was a loud thudding and cry before hearing a slump to the ground

That wasn't even your biggest concern right now!

You could very well die before even making it to your buyer. 

You wanted to believe that this other rival ship could help you escape, but the  name -The Enslavers- seemed worse off. 

Katsu stood up and stretched his limbs. "Anyway, since Shayato is our best fighter, he'll be protecting you. He should be here righttt aboutt-"

Katsu purposely dragged it out until Shayato came rushing in ten seconds later.

He appeared relieved when he saw you, before shifting attention to Katsu and whispering something. 

You suprisingly waited patiently before Shayato knelt down in front of you.

"Did anyone get in here? Are you hurt anywhere?" His eyes were full of concern and the worry was evident across his face, he sighed in relief when you shook your head. But his state was more alarming...

Blood was smeared over his neck and up to his jaw, it was painted across his clothing. It was even more frightening once you realised that none of it belonged to him.

"Where did Vincent go?"

"He's infiltrating the enemy's ship by himself." 

Your surprise prevented your rational side that told you to stay quiet. "Isn't that dangerous?"

Shayato scoffed. "Your a prisoner and are worried about your captors safety?"

It was less about him being a captor, but the only one who seemed to express any desire to protect you. 

But you couldn't tell him that.

Shayato sighed loudly (which you found to be unnecessary). It was if talking to you was expending too much energy. "His main job to infiltrate our enemy lines, if he couldn't even do that then he wouldn't be in our group." He ran his fingers through his hair.

"I didn't think they'd attack so quickly, Rei wasn't happy since he said we'll have to make a few stops in a couple towns to gather supplies. The more stops we make the more likely news can spread about our cargo. 

Katsu nodded and pulled out his double blades. "I'll go to the captain and try wrap this up." You both watched as the door closed behind him. 

You were certain that the supposed best fighter Shayato would be on the front lines rather than staying behind.