14: How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?

When Maria was five, she was adopted out of a bad orphanage by a Hunter who was convinced he needed an heir, someone to keep hunting after he was gone. He trained her to be the most cutthroat person you'll ever meet. But, she was his daughter, and he worried about her. So when he died, about a year ago, he left her a note saying she should call us.

She had just passed her twenty-fifth birthday by herself, right before we came to get her, and was like a contract-killer Barbie doll. Cold, emotionless, and gorgeous.

She traveled around with us for awhile, and was an amazing asset to the team, skill-wise. But she didn't quite agree with our methods of taking care of business, so she left.

We hadn't heard from her in about a month when we got an SOS and an address. Hell, we didn't even know it was her until we got to the house and saw her through a window.

We should've known it was a trap; it was so easy to get into the house and take out the one guard they had on Maria. Once we'd gotten her free and were about to leave, a Werewolf ran into the room, released from somewhere in the house, and ripped into Maria.

Sam killed it and we got her to a hospital in time to save her life, but once you're bitten, you're a Werewolf. Maria was caught a week after her admittance to the hospital with a full bottle of mixed pills; stuff like Amira, Chantix, Prempol, and a cocktail of other pills that had FDA warnings plastered all over them.

She admitted to having stolen them from the nurses' station and had been planning on taking them a few days from then. The doctors put her on suicide-watch, but Sam and I knew that Maria wasn't depressed. She just no longer wanted to be something she'd been trained her whole life to hate absolutely.

We signed her out, brought her here, cleared out the panic room in the basement and stuck her in it. That was a month ago, give or take a few days. We can't let her go, because she'll kill herself, and we can't kill her ourselves because there's been too much death already.