13: Cas and Maria

"An angel?" I asked, doubtful.

"Yup," Dean muttered, not very happy. "A full blown, winged, halo-wearing, messenger of God. Not all angels are as benevolent as him, though."

I sighed and sat up beside Dean, sliding over so we could both comfortably lean on the wall. I asked, "So, Angels are real. Things called Rougarous are real. What else is real?"

Dean reached up to run his fingertips over a worn, silver chain around his neck absentmindedly as he said, "Oh, the standard stuff. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts. And some other stuff, too, like Tulpas, witches, and women in white. All sorts of monsters." He craned his neck to look at me. "Are you gonna freak out?"

I waved my hand nonchalantly. "Nah, I'm good."

After a few minutes of both of us keeping our own silent councils, I asked pensively, "So who's Maria?"

Dean took a minute to think, then he groaned. "Do you really want to know?" I nodded, and Dean muttered to himself, "Of course you do."

He rubbed his temples wearily and continued. "Maria was... is, a girl who was our responsibility. A hunter-in-training. And one mistake of Sa-" Dean cut himself off violently. He tried again. "One mistake of ours on a hunt, and she was bitten."

While Dean took a breath, I tried to stop him. "Look, Dean, I'm sorry I asked. You don't have to tell me."

He threw his hands up in frustration. "No, I do, because you're like me, as much as it scares me to admit that. And I know I wouldn't leave hunting, or Sam and Bobby, if I could help it. Maria's story is... a warning of sorts, especially to you. So you need to shut up and listen to it, alright?"

I turned my head to stare at Dean, at the stressed set to his features, and I shrugged. "Alright," I murmured. "Tell me Maria's story."

#*#*#*#*#*#

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is a bit shorter; I tried to make it longer, but everything I tried screwed with the next few chapters, so I had to cut it here. I'll post the next chapter before Monday, I promise!!!

Adios!!

-ComplexAud424