Chapter 7: A Woman Scorned

Banner by LOS

~~~~~

The ceremony—what I could remember of it—was essentially the same, except for the fact that I wasn't at all hesitant to repeat the vows. That ... and the sight of Dougal scowling the whole bloody time. I'm certain it was mostly sour grapes on his part, and by the look on his face, it seemed he was still devouring them as well. I looked down in nostalgia as Jamie placed the ring on my finger, its twin safe in a container of dried lavender on the surgery shelf.

I was impatient to get this over with; wanting in the worse way to be alone with Jamie. I was even looking forward to that primitive blood-letting ritual.

The ceremony ultimately concluded, and we all went in a merry procession to an inn where Jamie and I would jolly-well consummate our marriage. The witnesses were drinking to excess in the room below, joining in our connubial adventure vicariously.

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ, I tried to act demure, sitting abreast of him on the mattress, asking innocuous questions, when what I really wanted, was to tumble into bed with the man. Not wanting to scare him into thinking he'd married a wanton woman, I bridled my passion as best I could.

The poor lad was so cautious as to drive me wild. "Jamie, you may touch me. I'm not going to break, nor can you do me any harm whatsoever. I have been married before, you know."

"Aye, but I'm verra nervous. I've ne'er been wi' a woman afore, ken?"

He gazed at me so earnestly, and whispered, "D'ye mind?"

"I'm aware of that fact, but it's no matter. I'll teach you, and you'll do fine. I'm certain you'll catch on speedily."

Our conjugal exercise proceeded exceptionally well, and Jamie was surprised by my lusty response, so much so that he confessed to fearing that he had injured me. I turned over in the bed to face him. "No, Jamie. You did not hurt me. That was supposed to happen. In fact, I must say, I enjoyed it immensely."

Jamie frowned in confusion. "But Mutagh said ..."

"Oh, never mind what that scruffy old bachelor said. What does he know? Where women are concerned, he is obviously clueless. We can be just as passionate as men if the partner is proficient enough."

With light in his eyes, he chirped, "Are ye sayin' as I did right by ye then?"

"More than right. You were wonderful."

My husband blushed just then. It was the sweetest sight ever.

"I'm sorry that I was pregnant for your first time, though."

"I'm no sorry, Claire. If ye were no wi' child, ye would be bedded by my uncle, and I wouldna be here wi' ye now. Truth be told, I feel lucky to have ye. I love ye, Sassenach, and I'll love the bairn as weel."