The night before New Year's Eve, 2033

~

All of the kids had moved out, leaving Zoë and I alone with Eli, and Snowball, who was getting too old for most things. Eli had just turned sixteen, and he hadn't seemed interested in dating or anything, leaving us a little confused. The girls had started dating at the ages of fourteen and fifteen.

"Mum... Dad..." Eli said one night, waking us both up at two in the morning. "I know it's late... but... I can't sleep..."

"Is something wrong?" Zoë asked.

"Can I tell Dad first?" He asked, looking hurt. I nodded, and followed him to his bedroom. He started to tear up once I sat down, and once he covered his face, I had a feeling about what was going on. "I can't date girls... It's... It's not right for me.."

"That's okay.." I said. "We don't mind.."

"But.... isn't it bad? I know Uncle Joe and Uncle Caspar are.... but the kids in my classes... they keep calling me names.." He said. "They said I'm going to burn in Hell.."

"There's nothing wrong with it.." I said, giving him a hug. "Being someone you're not is bad.... but being who you are inside... it's nothing short of amazing..." Zoë knocked on the door.

"You can come in.." Eli said. "I want to say it... for real... in front of you both..."

"What is it?" She asked, sitting next to me on his bed.

"I'm... I'm gay.." He said. "There's... a boy in my math class... and everyone bullies him like they bully me.... they all say he's a fag... but he doesn't hurt me.." Eli smiled. "I like him..."

"I'm proud of you.." I said.

"It took your uncle Joe several years to feel comfortable enough to come out.... so I'm glad you were able to do this..." Zoë smiled, giving him a hug. "Now, get some sleep... Okay?" Eli nodded. "We have a big party tomorrow, and you'll be up late.."

~

The next morning, Eli was much happier and talkative, but once his phone lit up, he went quiet. I asked what happened, and he showed me the text messages he had been receiving over the winter holiday from school.

"Why didn't you tell me thy were texting you?" I asked him.

"Well, I just came out to you last night.... so I couldn't..." Eli said. "But... they're don't bother me anymore. I don't care what they say about me.... I just got a text from Vincent..." He blushed. "Can he come to the party?"

"If it's okay with his family.." Zoë said, smiling at me. "Then it's okay with us.."

"He's set to come over.." Eli smiled, typing quickly with excitement. "I can't wait for you two to meet him..."

"Does he like you back?" I whispered, and Eli nodded.

"I think so.." He said. "I'm hoping so..."

~

Later that night, everyone arrived, and Eli ran off to talk to Vincent. Poppy and EJ arrived, bringing their boyfriends they had been dating for a few years now.

"Dad! Mum!" Poppy said, with EJ giggling next to her. "Guess what.." She didn't even wait for us to ask, and both girls raised their left hand, exposing engagement rings. "They proposed!" Zoë started tearing up, giving both girls hugs, and I smiled.

"We're going to have a double wedding.." EJ said. "And we'd like to ask you to officiate the wedding..." We accepted, feeling honoured, and the girls giggled.

"Hey Eli.." EJ's fiancé, Jordan, said. "This must be Vincent.."

"Hi.." Vincent smiled, then I realized he was holding Eli's hand.

"We were hoping you'd be here together..." Jordan said, and Wyat, Poppy's fiancé, nodded. "We were wondering if you'd be our best men.." Vincent and Eli looked at each other, smiling, then nodded.

~

"Five..." I said, as everyone counted down.

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!" Vincent smiled, and before Eli knew it, he had leaned in for a kiss, leaving Eli speechless.

"One!" Zoë giggled, and I kissed her as the clock struck midnight, 2034. Eli was blushing after Vincent broke away from the kiss, and Zoë looked shocked when she saw them kiss again. "Did they..?" I nodded. "Aw! My little man!"

"Mum...." Eli said. "Quit being embarrassing..." He smiled, and Vincent laid his head on Eli's shoulder after they sat together. Joe and Caspar smiled, but started to tear up as they saw their son down on one knee, proposing to his girlfriend, Jewelia.

"Congratulations!" I said to my nephew, and Zoë gave Jewelia a hug. "So much is happening today..."

"What do you mean?" Sean asked.

"EJ and Pop are engaged.... and Zoë and I are going to officiate. Their fiancés asked Eli and his new boyfriend to be their best men.... and they kissed..." I said. "And you know what you just did.." Sean smiled.

"It's going to be a great year..." He said. "Already so much... and I'm glad Eli felt comfortable enough to kiss him... in front of the family.."

"Vincent did it.." I said. "Eli was speechless, but blushed.."

"Still.." Sean said. "It's already been an eventful year..."

~

After the party, we allowed Vincent to stay over with Eli as long as they were both mature and didn't cause any trouble. When I poked my head into his room to say goodnight, I noticed Eli was laying his head on Vincent's chest, both already asleep.

"Goodnight.." I whispered anyway, and went to bed. Zoë was waiting for me, and once I laid down, she smiled. "What?" I asked.

"We're old.." She laughed. "Our kids are so grown up..."

"I'm only forty... you're halfway to fifty.." I smiled, teasing her.

"Shut up.." She said, hitting me with a pillow. "I'm too tired to argue.."

"You know I'll always love you... no matter how old we get.." I said, wrapped my arms around her waist. "You'll always be gorgeous to me... even when you don't find yourself gorgeous.."

"I know.." She whispered. "I love you, Alfie..."

"I love you, too..." I kissed her gently. "Little One.."