I cried as the doctor explained what had happened, but he said Alfie was going to be okay.

"He's awake... and he explained to us that he saw a man who aimed the gun at the window he was shot through.." One officer said. "He said it was a tall man, early twenties, and had blonde hair."

"Did he identify who exactly? Did you have any pictures?" Joe asked.

"We haven't yet. We don't have enough photos in, but another officer is gathering photos of men that fit the description."

"Can we see him?" I asked.

~

There he was, laying in a hospital bed. He was dazed, but awake, and when I walked in, his eyes widened. I sat next to him, and he held my hand.

"Well.... this is a change of events... Now you're the one in the hospital gown..." I said. "Dan called me as soon as this happened... and we came as quick as possible.."

"I love you.." Alfie said. "So much..."

"I love you.." I said, wiping my tears. "Are you in pain?"

"I'm pretty medicated.." He said. "So not yet... but the doctor explained that the bullet was lost inside of me, and that's why they had to perform a procedure..."

"Yeah.." I said. "I wish I would've been there for you..."

"Zoë...." He sighed. "You could've been hit if you were with me then. I'm lucky it was me, and not you. I would've died of crying if you had been shot..."

"I know.... but I just... I have this feeling I know why this happened..." I looked down. "It's because we're together now.."

"You think someone's out to get me?" He asked, and I nodded slowly. Detective Rolando came in, and introduced herself to Alfie before showing pictures of various guys. "Um..."

"Take your time.... I just need you to point to the picture of the guy you saw..." She said. Alfie stared at the photos, and once he looked at one, his eyes widened.

"Him..." Alfie said, and gulped. "Noel.... Noel Andrews.."

"Your ex boyfriend, Noel?" She asked me, and I nodded. Detective Rolando thanked Alfie for being strong and figuring out who it was, and started to leave the room. "Put out a warrant to arrest.... Noel Andrews, age twenty-four... lives in London..."

"It's going to be okay.." I said to Alfie. "Right?"

"It will..." He said, squeezing my hand. His doctor walked in and asked how he was feeling post operation. "I'm getting a little pained... but more so fatigued..."

"Well, Zoë will be able to take you home in the morning, as long as your surface wound is healing properly. Zoë, I'm going to send you home with bandages to wrap his chest in, and make sure he is not putting too much pressure on it.." Doctor Leese said. "He's very lucky... not only to have you in his life, by to be alive."

"Thanks Doc..." Alfie said.

"I'll let you get some rest now... Zoë, may I speak with you?" I nodded, and gave Alfie a kiss before leaving the room.

~

"Whilst going through Alfie's records, we noticed a few things that were a little worrying..... such as being an orphan from the age of twelve..... and his family history with cancer.." Doctor Leese said. "I wouldn't have been as worried if it wasn't for a growth I found during the operation."

"A.... a growth?" I asked.

"Yes.... I'm afraid so. We didn't have many records on him, so we have no information on any scans that he could've possibly had done... The growth is connected to his left lung. We're just glad we caught it now, and not later on...."

"Did you talk to him about it?" I gulped.

"I wanted to discuss with you first.... and have you talk to him.." He said. We walked back into Alfie's room, and he was still awake. I started crying as soon as I saw him.

"Little One, what's wrong?" Alfie asked, taking my hand. "What happened?"

"Nothings wrong with me..." I said. "They.... They found a growth on your left lung.... just a centimeter shy from the bullet wound..." I cried, and he laid his head back in sorrow.

"Is it.... cancerous?" He asked. Doctor Leese sat down next to us.

"We do not know yet what we are dealing with. I need some more information on your family history before we can fully diagnose..." Doctor Leese explained.

"My mum died when I was six months old.... and my dad died when I was twelve. I've lived with my sister for seven years... and I've just recently moved out to live on my own.... until I met Zoë. She's been staying with me now.." Alfie explained. "My mum died.... in a shooting. My dad had shot her.... and Poppy called the police. We were immediately taken away and stayed with our neighbours.... and my dad was convicted and charged for murder. He died in prison.."

"I'm... very sorry..." The doctor said.

"So, I don't know much about either side of my family. People die in prison all the time.... and no one knew exactly why he died. The guards just assumed he was murdered.." He started to tear up.

"May I come in?" Poppy was at the door. "Sean and I were on the road, heading back from his mum and dad's when we heard the news... I'm so sorry I didn't get here quicker..."

"Poppy, right?" Doctor Leese asked, then introduced himself. "I was just talking with your brother about your family history.... as it appears to have affected Alfie..."

"Alfie.... has cancer?" She asked, and Alfie stared at her.

"How do you know that runs in our family?" He asked. Poppy sighed, and took Alfie's other hand.

"Dad died in prison because he had a tumour...." She said. "I didn't tell you.... because we were living happily... and you were stressed out about the bullying you had in school.... I'm sorry...."

"So you kept something from me.... that as since then started to develop on my lung.... and it could've killed me.." Alfie said. "Why?" He became angrier and angrier.