15: Heartbroken

"You three patrol the southern wing, and the rest of you escort students to their classes, no slacking off, lives are at stake." Aaron says gruffly to the line of werewolves in front of him, he paces around them like a general with his soldiers.

"If any of you see anything suspicious, anything at all, come strait to me, got it?" The battalion of werewolves salute their Alpha, Aphmau behind him, absorbing every word.

"Yes Alpha!" Aaron stands in front of them, a fire in his eyes.

"Then you are dismissed." Almost immediately, the werewolves pile out of meeting room, only two remain.

"G-Daniel , Lilac, have you seen anything else?" Aaron asks in a dark tone, his eyes red, they had been since the ball.

"No... sir, he seems to have given up getting Lilac." Daniel responds immediately, Aaron's gaze making him anxious.

"Turning your sights on me then eh Drake?" He says to himself, for the past month his voice had gotten deeper, his hair longer, and his temper on a shorter fuse then ever before.

"What was that?" Lilac pipes up, and Aaron smiles kindly.

"Nothing, thank you both." He waves his hand to dismiss them, and they quickly get out of there.

Aphmau comes up beside him, her tail between her legs and ears patted down, Aaron glances at her and grins.

"Aph please don't change around me because if this, I'm still me." He let's his ears fall onto his head and Aphmau cups his cheek.

"I'm worried about you, your eyes haven't been steel in a month, you... sound angry all the time, and you haven't been taking good care of yourself lately." Aaron doesn't chuckle at this, just takes her hand and pushes it down.

"I'm fine. Let me take you back to your room." He starts walking out but she reels him around a extremely fierce look in her face.

"Where the hell are you going in the middle of the night!? You don't come home until late, You barely talk to me when you do, What is going on, and if you don't tell me, I- I'll." Aaron see's the tears threatening to fall, he scans her, feeling a twinge of guilt.

"You'll what?" It isn't aggressive, it's monotone, no emotion at all just like everything he's said for a month.

"Leave dammit! I'll pack up my stuff and go to my Mom that's what!" Now the tears are falling, but he smiles at this, this is what he wanted to here.

"Aphmau, I want you to leave this school, I want you to leave me behind and forget me." At this, Aphmau's face goes from angry to confused and hurt.

"W-What? Why...?" He looks down, his eyes burn, finally, he starts to break.

"Because... your not safe here, and because of what I have to do..." Aphmau looks into his eyes, reading him and his sorrow.

"No... Don't you dare." He turns, his eyes moving from red to steel.

"Forget me Aph, It'll lessen the blow when I'm gone." He walks out, the sobbing piercing his ears and making tears form.

This is for us, This is for you.

He sprints, he doesn't know where he's going he just runs, tears actually falling now, he doesn't even notice when he stops under a large vent.

Don't go back Aaron, Don't go back for her.

In his turmoil he doesn't see the ink dripping around him, he doesn't see the tendril coming down from the vent above him.

"Aph wai-" Darkness... Pain.... then nothingness, the tendril pulls his motionless body into the vent, ending him, ending the light.

Aphmau feels a searing pain explode within her, she hits the floor, the bond between her and Aaron severed. Immediately she jumps up through the pain. Following his scent up into the dark vent.

If she was crying before, she's now racked with such pain and sadness that she can't move, or breath in fact her vision gets blurry as well.

(I am so sorry, lol, it was a dream!)

And she wakes up cuddled in Aaron's arms on their bed, covered in a cold sweat and shaking, She pushes him to get him up and he gasps for air when he is awoken, his heart beating fast and a single tear rolling down his face.

"W-Wha.... It was a dream...." he says quietly to himself, of course after that ball he would have nightmares, but it felt so vivid... and real.

"Aph? Why are you crying?" She hugs him, hugs him so tightly that God himself would be jealous, and he lifts her chin up to look at him.

"I'm going to guess you had the same nightmare huh?" She nods, it had only been a few days after the ball, yet the vivid memories still remain.

"So... you know his offer then. To keep you safe?" She gasps and if anything grips him tighter, wordlessly begging him to stay.

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm not going to Drake, and nothing is going to happen to you, that is a promise."