We can't have a baby.

This is a mistake.

"A baby is never a mistake," my voice took a firm edge, "a baby is a gift from God. So many people want kids, but they can't have one and you're telling me say that you don't want one. I'm not sure whether I'm really pregnant or not. But if I am, then I'm going to love my baby. You'll love the baby too. I know this is unexpected and it'll take time for you to come to grips with it but trust me once you see our baby you'll love him. I know you will." I said and hoped it would come true. This was not what I had expected when I planned to tell my husband.

"I can never love ...it. I don't believe in love. Nothing can come between you and me. Not even a baby. It's decided that we are not having kids." He said firmly not leaving any room for discussion.

I understood his feelings and sympathized. I was important to him, and he was a possessive man. "You don't have to worry about me not giving you enough time. You'll always be my priority. A baby wouldn't come between us. In fact, you'll have the two of us loving you. Evan this could be our child, a new beginning for us. Think about it. Please don't hate it." 

"Fuck! I'm so mad at you Rose," Evan paced the length of our room which clearly showed me the turmoil within him. Abruptly he stopped and looked at me wide-eyed, "Did you get off your birth-control without informing me? Or did you lie to me about it from the beginning?" I was shocked hearing him say that. I couldn't believe he would accuse me of such things.

"I'd never betray you," I begged. This was a mess. I was a wreck. Why did I ever think this was going to be any good for us. A baby never repaired damaged relationships. I was a fool to think my case would be an exception to the fact. The truth was our marriage was seriously weak and none of us knew how to repair it. We were just living in the present without worrying about the future but the potential pregnancy was an eye-opening jolt for me.

He walked out leaving me a teary sobbing mess.

*****

An hour later we were with the ob-gyn to confirm my pregnancy. I feared the whole situation. A nurse came out to call me in. We both walked in and found Dr. Smith sitting on her usual chair. She was Asian with pretty almond eyes and dark mass of a bob on her head. She was a small woman and very beautiful, but I was too disturbed to truly admire her features.

"Hello Doctor."

"Evan, Rose, please have seat." We took a seat in front of her. She smiled warmly at us.

"Evan tells me you two might be expecting. Did you take a home test?"

"No, I just had some symptoms." I replied.

"How soon can we know the results?" Evan asked. His hands flexed against my back holding me close to him. I knew there was worry in his posture and he was just as restless as I was. Only he hid it better than me.

"I need you to come with me Rose." I followed the doctor to the examination room. She drew the curtains and asked me to lay flat on the bed.

She asked me about the symptoms I self-diagnosed myself with. I told her everything honestly and she proceeded to examine me. Her attention was on the screen behind me while the medical professionals performed various tests on me including drawing my blood.

After I was done through the entire process I returned to the waiting room. I saw Evan fidgeting with his hands, a clear sign of impatience. As soon as he saw me, he pulled me beside him and took my hand in his. One would think he was an excited dad waiting for the good news.

"What did she say?" He was concerned but all for different reasons.

"She didn't say anything. She told me to wait outside." He clasped our hands together and kissed my knuckles. We waited for some time. I couldn't tell how long it had been. I didn't even feel Evan warming my cold fingers with his palm.

Dr. Smith joined us, but I couldn't read her face. It was an everyday thing for her. She was too calm for the news.  Then she offered me a sympathetic smile,  

"I'm really sorry but you are not pregnant."

---*-*-*---

Poor Rose. I really feel bad for her.

While you wait for Chapter 24 head to my profile and check out my latest book Dangerous Illusion. Follow me on Instagram @authoreval for more.

Vote
Comment
& Share