Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

Tomorrow came and it was already the last period. Students were headed to the main hall. They were talking while sitting in rows of their classes and their chatting didn't stop there. Not only until every class was present and when the principal stood on stage and cleared his throat in the mic.
The principal was just congratulating us for all the effort that we had put in to make it this far—especially the seniors. He was also talking about the upcoming prom and all of us were recommended to attend. But I didn't really bother about anything he said about the prom. I mean, it wasn't a must to attend.
After his boring announcement, it was finally my turn.
"Students, you may not leave yet—" the principal started, already interrupted with groans. "We have another announcement from a student."
I was expecting to go up on the stage alone after he went down the stage and handed me the mic, but Nate and Mrs. Vandelmen followed me. It made me feel more comfortable and less pressured to have people with me on stage.
I thought people would start groaning loudly or booing me once I got up on stage, but they just stared at me with uninterested eyes. But Laura and Stephanie could be seen waving to me with small smiles. I wanted to wave back but I knew I couldn't. So instead, I smiled at them—hopefully noticeable enough—before I started to talk.
But once I opened my mouth, nothing came out. I was just quivering from the pressure of the students' eyes. One male student even shouted at me, telling me to hurry up, which he ended up getting a glare from the principal and a harsh hush.
Before I could even manage to speak up, Mrs. Vandelmen took the mic from me with a calm smile. "What Jone meant was that you all need to stop all your bullshit."
Ms. Marie, who was drinking water, spat some out, which almost made me laugh.
The principal raised a brow but didn't say anything.
Students could be heard and seen gasping and looking around with wide eyes as they whispered. Pfft, as if they've never heard a teacher swore before. I've heard Mr. Thomas cuss in front of the whole class once when he was angry. There was nothing to be shocked about, honestly.
"I've seen enough," Mrs. Vandelmen continued with a glare. "Your bullying toward others are harmful. Can you think before you act? It's as if you all are brainless animals! You've hurt enough people to get them to the point where they want to kill themselves!"
Students could be seen actually afraid of Mrs. Vandelmen for once.
"Did you know that one of our students actually died three years ago?" she asked with a glare.
Some students shook their heads as their face showed remorse. They knew exactly what she was talking about.
"She killed herself because the whole school bullied her for liking another girl! I mean, seriously, what is wrong with you all? Why do you bully people just because they are different from you? Just because they're homosexual or transgender or disabled?" Mrs. Vandelmen asked.
Damn, I have never seen her this fierce before.
"You wanna know something that I've been hiding from all you teachers and students?" Mrs. Vandelmen asked.
Mrs. Penny weirdly looked really panicked and shocked.
"Mrs. Penny and I—" Mrs. Vandelmen went down the stage and actually kissed her on the lips, which made her blush, before looking at the students who had wide eyes. "—are dating."
I knew there was something going on between them! I thought as I smiled.
I glanced at Laura and Stephanie and they actually looked really happy that they even squealed in excitement and joy. Some people looked surprised as they whispered non-stop into their friends' ears, but what I was surprised to see was that no one was disgusted this time.
"The only reason why you all address us as Mrs. Vandelmen and Mrs. Penny is because we wanted everyone to know that we are taken," Mrs. Vandelmen smiled, ignoring a red-faced Mrs. Penny. She then walked back up on stage and handed me the mic with an encouraging smile.
I looked at the students, still trembling. But I took a deep breath and calmed down before I started speaking. "Okay, um, so, as you all know, I'm gay." No one seemed to look at me, grossed out, for the first time! Which was a plus for me! "And well . . . I'm actually dating Nate."
Gasps could be heard as Nate put an arm around me with a smile.
Suddenly, Laura squealed really loudly. "OH MY GOD! REALLY? YOU GUYS ARE SO C—" Stephanie covered her mouth with a panicked expression before looking at the students who stared at them with an awkward smile. Mrs. Penny giggled at her reaction.
Once Laura's mouth was uncovered, she cleared her throat loudly before saying in the same loud voice, "I'M SORRY, JONE. KEEP TALKING."
I laughed at her as she showed me a thumbs up with a smile.
"So, with what Mrs. Vandelmen said, please, I—no, we beg you. Stop bullying people for who they really are. If you were in their shoes, how would you feel? Please, just think before you go around saying harmful words to people. Thank you all for listening to this announcement." As Nate and I walked down the stage, I passed the microphone to the principal so that he could dismiss us. But then, we started hearing clapping. And it turned out to be Laura.
"WOOHOO! THIS WAS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!" Laura yelled happily as she clapped. And that was when people started clapping for us with their understanding smiles that I've never seen on their faces before.
The principal then released us happily and some students even came up to me and apologized. Even Nate's gang appeared and apologized to me profusely and told me I could punch each of them, which I refused to do. But Nate already did that for me.
"Nate! What the hell are you doing!" I asked him as I looked at his gang who were rubbing their pained cheek.
"Doing what they asked," Nate said with a smirk.
Kelvin chuckled before looking at me with a smile. "We deserve it, honestly. We're sorry, you know? We'll be heading back now."
They waved goodbye at us before walking away. And once they were gone, I slapped Nate's shoulder.
"Ow! What was that for, Jone?" he asked with a raised brow as if he did nothing wrong.
"Why would you punch your friends?"
"They punched you many times!"
"Oh? Then should I punch you?" I asked, laughing.
Nate laughed and shrugged. "Go ahead, I guess. I deserve it."
Instead, I pulled him into a kiss and smiled. "I would rather kiss you, obviously."