Kill The Lights {20}

***Mitch’s POV***

                Jace was fast asleep in my arms. He had been asleep for about an hour now. I had only said I was tired because I knew he was. I could never fall asleep at night. I tended to lie awake until the early hours of the morning. It’s why I usually went out with Trevor and Patrick. I’d rather be out starting trouble than lying in bed bored out of my mind until 4 in the morning.

                But…Jace was in love with me. And I could tell by the look in his eyes that it terrified him. He was afraid of people getting too close. Of getting too attached to people.

                Now Shane was scaring him too, that asshole. I would have to have a little chat with my brother when I got home. Still, I was happy that Jace and his mom seemed to be stable for the time being.

                Did I love Jace back? I was definitely starting to. My feelings for him had hit me like a damn train. I was falling in love with this boy so fast that it was almost scaring me. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how it was making Jace feel.

                I sighed and glanced down at him in the darkness. His head was lightly resting against my shoulder, and his hand was resting on my chest.

                I kissed his cheek and closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep. Now that he had fallen in love with me, it was only a matter of time before the fear hit him and he started to pull away.

                                                                                                ***

                I cracked my eyes open and rolled over sleepily. Jace was scrolling through Facebook on his phone, looking bored.

                “Mmmf.” I attempted speech, and failed.

                “At least you tried to speak,” Jace said without taking his eyes off of his phone.

                “I forgot how to words,” I mumbled, rubbing at my eyes.

                “I bet you did,” he said, patting my head sympathetically.

                “Shut up. I just woke up,” I grumbled. I was so not a morning person.

                “Well, get up. I’m starving. I’ve been waiting for you to wake up,” he said, sitting up and pushing his hair back with both of his hands. I nearly smiled as he did that. He had a habit of doing that, and I found adorable.

                I forced myself to get up and followed Jace out of his bedroom and out to his kitchen. We sat at the counter together.

                “Good morning boys,” Erica said. “I’ll make you waffles, if you want.”

                “Yes please,” Jace said gratefully.

                “He tried to make easy mac the other day and messed it up,” I informed his mom.

                “Shut up,” he said, punching me in the arm.

                “Don’t punch me,” I said, punching him back.

                “Don’t punch each other!” Erica said. “Or else I won’t make you waffles.”

                “You get off easy this time. Only because I want my food,” Jace said, shooting me a glare.