Kill The Lights {7}

“Mitch?!” I cried in alarm.

                He shoved me out of the way and shut my front door, locking it. I took the time to eye him carefully, and relaxed slightly, realizing that his nose was bleeding, and his shoulder was bleeding through a tear on his shirt, but other than that, he was alright.

                “What the hell happened to you?” I demanded.

                “Got involved in a fight. Shit got real. We ran off. I’m just hiding out here for a little,” he said.

                “Fight with who? What?” I asked.

                “Don’t worry about it,” he said dismissively. He looked down at his bleeding shoulder. The blood had soaked through his shirt.

                He looked up at me. “Can I borrow a shirt? And a band-aid?”

                I sighed. “Come with me.”

                “Jace? What’s going on?” my mom called from the kitchen.

                I shoved Mitch into the hallway so that she wouldn’t see him. “Mitch is here. We’re just going to hang out for a little,” I called back.

                I pulled Mitch into the bathroom and locked the door. He pulled his shirt off as I pulled out bandages. He grabbed a tissue and held it under his nose.

                “Who did you get in a fight with?” I asked.

                “It was nothing,” he said.

                “It was something. You’re hurt,” I said, wetting a paper towel and wiping at the cut on his shoulder.

                “If you tell me what’s been up with you lately, I’ll tell you who I got in a fight with,” he said, watching me and wincing lightly as I rubbed at his cut.

                “I’m just…dealing with personal issues,” I said, since that was about as honest as I could get without actually telling Mitch that I probably liked him.

                “Lucas Rivers and Ian Patterson started a fight with me and my friends,” he said. “Lucas cut me with a broken beer bottle. They were wasted. We ran off once they started swinging broken bottles around. Best not to get involved with that kind of shit.”

                I carefully bandaged his shoulder, fighting off the anger inside of me. Anger that someone had hurt Mitch.

                “Are you okay?” I asked.

                “I’ll be fine. Just don’t tell my mom,” he said.

                “Mitch, you’ve done this before. Disappeared and turned up hurt,” I said. “What the hell do you do in your free time?”

                He shrugged, wincing at his shoulder. “My friends are I just aren’t well liked, I guess.”

                I helped him up and led him to my bedroom. I tossed a shirt at him and he pulled it on, looking around my messy room.

                “Do you ever clean this?” he asked.

                “Nah,” I said, kicking some dirty clothes out of my way to make a path to my bed. “It’s summer break. Why the hell would I bother cleaning my room?”