👶1

Woo new story! Enjoyy :))))

Chapter 1

Calum

"Ellis! Blair! Get your shoes on, we're going to the park!" I hollered up the banister, hearing the gentle patter of feet in response to my command. I myself packed them a juice box and banana each, for when they started to wear out, and a chocolate bar for myself.

This would be my third year as a single parent. Fun, right? I didn't know how my fate turned out like this – I had been a promising football player, the premier league right in my grasp if I wanted it. And now, who was I? A twenty-two year old working four jobs with no qualifications, not even an HSC in my pocket.

Ellis, my little star, was turning five next week. He was my pride – he could kick a ball like a real Hood and read a whole Harry Potter book without my help (he was a self-proclaimed Hufflepuff). His familiar roar came ripping through the air as he slid down the banister, jumping off and dusting his hands like a pro.

Blair, the cutest toddler with the biggest brownest eyes, had just turned three. She stumbled her way down the stairs, one at a time, before reaching the massive plastic shoe box where we threw all our shoes. She fished around in it for her favourite pair of purple Velcro sandals, and looked up at me with her puppy eyes in attempt to get me to help her.

"Now, now Blair, you can do it. Remember how daddy taught you? Undo the strap, put your foot in, and tighten the strap. Can you do that for daddy?"

She nodded enthusiastically, a dribble of saliva pooling by the side of her mouth. I grabbed a used tissue from my jacket pocket and wiped it quick, before taking the dog leash from the coat hooks above the shoe box. One sharp whistle later, our little pup Perro came bounding over with his short ass legs and waggling tail.

We left the house, a small two-bedroom home in Merrylands, a suburb of Sydney, and headed to Blair and Ellis' favourite park. It was a relatively long walk away, but luckily there was an ice cream parlour in between so we always went in and got cones. On the way, we passed the Hemmings family house. It was a huge three-storey home with around eight windows visible just on the front.

"Kids, wait a second, I just gotta check that Jack's still okay for this evening!" I called, making them halt and run back over to the fence. I undid the lock and headed down the little path, knocking three times on the door.

A teenage boy opened the door, looking incredibly dishevelled and tired. "Um, hi," he croaked, scratching his stomach.

"Hey, is Jack in?" I asked with a smile. He opened his eyes properly and saw me, hesitating before calling his brother's name. They looked very similar – all three brothers did. I'd only ever seen Ben and Luke twice, and that was when we first moved in down the street. Apparently our parents had been pretty good friends, and since mum and dad had pretty much disowned me ever since Ellis and Blair, Liz and Andy were like parents to me.

Jack came bounding down soon after, whilst the teenager wandered into the kitchen. I just couldn't remember if the younger one was Luke or Ben... damn me and my memory. "Hi Calum! I was just about to text – I'm really sorry, I can't make it tonight after all! I've come down with this really awful bug," he complained, and I could see it in the paleness on his face. He was still in his pyjamas, a pair of Disney slippers on his feet.

I smiled, but this meant that I was gonna have to try and find someone else reliable enough at short notice. "Thanks, Jack... do you by any chance know anyone who'd be able to fill in for you? It's just, you're the only one I trust enough with my kids, so..."