eighteen

Wheyhey it's my birthday (August 29th) !! (I'm 21)

"So, like a professional?" Zayn wondered, his eyes glued to the TV screen as he flipped through the channels. 

"Yeah? I don't know, maybe. Just someone he can talk to I guess, he no doubt needs it."
"But. But those people are expensive Lou." 

"We will easily manage. I could go back to taking a few extra shifts at the coffee shop just to cover the cost if you want that. It's not like we're tight on money, really." Louis traced his finger on Zayn's bare chest, trying to gain his attention. "And the fact that he's legally going to be our son hopefully very soon, we're supposed to provide him the things he needs." 

"I guess." Zayn mumbled. "If you say so." He knew Louis was right, and he loved Harry dearly, but he was still kind of hung up on the fact that they wouldn't be adopting a baby, that Harry was going to be their third and final child. 

"Thank you." Louis sighed, leaving light pecks on his husband's shoulder. "I'll make some calls tomorrow, and maybe hear what Lottie thinks."

- - -

"Oh Harry." Louis walked in on the small boy sitting sadly on the hardwood floor, his pull-up back on the nightstand. "C'mon darling, let's get cleaned up yeah." 

"M'sorry." Harry apologized sheepishly; his plan wasn't as foolproof as he thought it would be. 

"It's okay darling, but maybe we'll wear the pull-up tonight, huh?" Louis earned a shy nod from Harry as he cleaned to boy up, and the floor too. "You won't be wearing them forever you know, you'll stop needing them before you even know it." The man assured, getting the boy dressed for the dreaded school day. Luckily it was Friday so they get two days off which was much needed. 

"Okay champ, head downstairs and get some breakfast with Zayn, I'll be right there." Louis reassured, sending the boy downstairs so he could get the other two boys up which luckily wasn't a struggle. Zayn left for work early, not that Louis minded, but he would like his husband to spear him a few extra glances while he talks to him, but lately that had proven to be quite difficult. 

"Hey dad, I was wondering..." Niall trailed as he ate his cereal. "You know, I don't have practice today so maybe George can come home with me?" The boy wondered. "He doesn't have any friends, or talk to anyone in my class for the matter, but maybe he'd like to spend some time with Harry and maybe Harry would enjoy that." 

"That's a very kind thought Niall, but first we'd have to ask Harry if he would be interested and then George's mum would have to give permission. We'll think about it in the future, but it's very thoughtful of you to suggest it." Louis beamed, he couldn't ask for anything more from his sons. They were polite and kind which was really all Louis had hoped for. "But let's head to the car, we don't want to be late." 

The car ride was silent, and as they got nearer the school, Niall could see Harry visibly tense in his seat. Harry was dreading the day. Yesterday had been a disaster and he wanted nothing more than to never return. "Alright, everyone out. Do you want me to walk with you Liam?" 

"No daddy, I'm okay." The boy gave Louis a quick hug before running into the school. Louis grabbed Harry's hand that seemed to be shaking as they walked through the school's doors. He sent the boy a reassuring smile as they walked through the hallway towards the classroom. 

"You'll be okay. If anyone says anything, you promise me you'll tell a teacher so they can give me a call?" The boy just pouted, grabbing the man's hand as tight as he could but unfortunately when Louis had finished talking with the teacher, he had to go. 

Harry wanted to disappear as soon as the class started. He could clearly hear the whispers from the kids sat behind him, making him sink down in his chair. Recess wasn't any better of course, that's where the year above him got mixed with his year. 

"Hey diaper boy." 

"Don't talk to him like that!" Liam quickly shouted, noticing the group gather around the small boy. 

"It's your own fault." The group laughed, "We can't do anything about it." A tall boy shrugged, looking back at Harry with a mischievous grin. All it took were a few name callings and some pointing for the small lad to run away, running as fast as his legs could carry him away from the school, Liam looking ahead in bewilderment. 

The laughter from the group was interrupted by the bell ringing and Liam wondered if he should run after the boy but he figured Harry was just running home. Liam had done that once and it wasn't that far so he figured he'd be alright. 

It was very convenient that half an hour later Louis was exiting the house, seeing a very familiar boy looking very lost as he wandered the street, probably looking for the house. A very furious Louis had to call the school, demanding why they hadn't called him and let him know that the boy hadn't shown up to class. He wasn't mad at the boy, but the school wasn't on Louis' 'most popular' list. 

"Harry, what on earth are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in class?!" One look at Harry's distraught face, tear filled eyes and snotty nose was enough to make the man soften his tone. "What happened?" 

"Just wan' my mama." The boy wailed, crashing into the man's stomach. 

"Oh, dear." Louis fussed, picking the sobbing boy up to take him inside, his trip to the grocery store long forgotten. He even called Zayn to make him pick up the other two boys later; himself needed to have a nice chat with Harry. 

"T-the kids aren't very nice." Harry rubbed his eyes, frustrated as tears kept falling but he was significantly calmer than when Louis found him. The man gently wiped them away as he let out a soft hum for the boy to know that he was listening. 

"Kept saying mean things." He sniffled. At his old school, he wasn't necessarily getting bullied, more like excluded so it was relatively new for him. "And- and they were pointing at me." Harry continued, twiddling with his thumbs as Louis rubbed his back for comfort. 

"That's not very nice." Louis pouted, "I'll talk to your teacher, we'll fix this." Although Louis did least of all want to talk with the teacher again, the phone call he made just moments prior was enough to make him lose all respect for her, she hadn't even noticed the boy was gone. 

"Can I take a nap?" The boy asks shyly, stifling a yawn as his eyes began to droop. "An' maybe some milk?" His cheeks tinted red, Harry couldn't help but to feel a little embarrassed. "Of course." Louis cooed, lifting the boy up on his hip to head into the kitchen, finding a sippy cup for the nearly asleep boy. Louis laid the boy on the sofa with the cup as he fetched some joggers and a pull-up before undressing him from the uncomfortable school uniform. 

Louis turned the TV on, putting it on low volume as he let the boy sleep in his lap, the man swaying slightly on the sofa which helped the boy sleep. Louis jumped slightly from his phone blaring but it luckily didn't wake the boy. 

"Hey Lotts." The man spoke softly, eyeing the boy in his lap to make sure he wasn't disturbing his peaceful slumber. 

"Hey Lou." Lottie was obviously upset, it was easy to read her tone. "Slight issue." She began and Louis urged her to go on. "Uh, we've been sued, by the Milton's because who else would? And they've demanded a custody battle."

Louis' breath was caught in his throat, making him start to cough violently. "Excuse me, what?" 

"It shouldn't be a problem though, it should be an easy win for you guys, but I'm off Harry's case since I'm your sister. I will help you though, of course, but I just wanted to be the first to let you know. I'm sorry Lou." 

As if the boy hadn't been through enough.