Chapter 13. A Shadow

13

1493 Rome, Italy

I have not heard from Leonardo in months. I worry what has happened and if he can truly give me the answers I need. If Leonardo can't figure this out then I am truly lost.

I haven't seen Cesare since this morning. He's always taking his father orders, which means I rarely get to see him anymore. Of course I am alone in the Vatican. I avoid Juan as much as possible. When I see him I make sure to dart the other direction. I thank god for the times when he doesn't see me.
Most of my day is reading or playing chess with Gioffre. The Vatican may be filled with people but I've never felt so lonely. Cesare is busy, Juan harasses me and Gioffre is just a kid. I wish that Lucrezia was here, at least then I would have someone to talk to.

The sun kissed my porcelain skin as I walk through the Vatican gardens. My father would always talk of the gardens here. He considered himself an amateur gardener, he kept roses in our house and tending a small garden outside. At the end of garden I saw the strawberry blonde woman there. It was Giulia Farnese. She was always a phantom to me, I would see her move through the hall of the Vatican like a ghost. Although she probably thought the same of me since we only see each other in passing. This time she looks as if she wants to talk to me. I approach the red haired woman as she stands in the archway. "Your Grace" She says with her gentle voice. I giggle at the title she has given me.
"Please, I am not 'Your Grace' I am just Lena." I reply.
"Then Lena, walk with me." She smiles with her rose colored lips. She links her arm with mine and takes me down the path of the gardens. "You seem lonely Lena." She starts.
"Is there a reason I should be lonely Giulia?"
"With your father gone, Cesare always with the College of Cardinals and Lucrezia in Pesaro, you should have a lot of reason to be lonely."
"Then what would be your advice?"
"We are two that have a lot to lose, we should look out for each other." She winks and let's go of my arm.
"Lena!" Cesare calls for me from the entrance of the gardens. I leave Giulia to go to Cesare. She had made me an offer although I am not exactly sure of her intentions. But I knew she was smart, she wouldn't be where she was if she wasn't smart. But still her speaking to me was cryptic. "I have missed your face." Cesare embraces me and kisses my cheek. He was dressed in his Cardinal robes like always. Sometimes I find it strange to see him in other clothes. He was either in blood red or charcoal black.
"Will you be here for the rest of the day?" I start to play with his with the gold cross that hangs from his neck.
"No I have to go back. I had some time so I thought I would come back and see you." He runs his nose against mine.
"Then go then, I will see you tonight." I kiss him goodbye. I was going to continue my conversation with Giulia but she was gone, just like that. I told you she moves like a phantom. It seems everyone in my life just disappears.

The Holy Father, Juan and Gioffre were sat at the table when I join them for dinner. Cesare was not there and neither was Giulia, so why am I even here? The only seat that was open was next to Juan so I was forced to sit next to him. "You kept us waiting." Juan said full of spite as if my company here was that important.
"I am on time Juan, maybe you are just simply early." I replied in spite as well. I sat down in the seat next to him and watch as a boy pours my wine. "Where is Cesare, Holy Father?"
"What you miss him in your bed that much?" Juan chuckles and it drowned out the sound of me groaning. It seemed to be a reaction my body just naturally does now.
"Juan!" The Holy Father scolds.
"You should see them in the halls father!" Juan complains. "It is disgusting." He groans. Juan has gotten far more bothersome since he was a kid I don't know how long I will be able to handle it until I crack.

I normally enjoy dinner with the Borgia's but that is when Cesare is here because he keeps Juan in his place. While the Holy Father doesn't like Juan's spite he some times lets it pass because he believes it to be playful but it's not. But Juan is his favorite child even if he doesn't want to admit it. We all knew.