Chapter 29. A Nun and the Midwife

29

1495, Montefalco Italy

          We  were to head to the abbey today but I haven't seen Valentino all morning. He was busy obviously but not seeing him at all was just a bit worrying as if we weren't going. It was expected that he would at least pop in to see when we were leaving. The tailor had come within the two days between my first day and now. He had made just two dresses thus far, both were half made by the time he showed up. The one I wore now, it was simple, not too flashy. No big jewels or intricate embroidery but it was made of fine purple silk. Though it wasn't gaudy, it being purple told me how expensive it was. The threads were spools of gold, hard to see at a passing glance but when you look closely you can see it's gleam. I just wore my hair half up, the rest of my blonde hair fell loose down my back.
Gabrielle sat with me in my room, she read a book quietly, stretched out on the couch. I waited around for Valentino, resting my head on the backrest of my chair so I could look out the window and watch the clouds pass. This was boring. I even wished Micheletto was around because at least I could bother him. He hasn't been seen this morning either, maybe he went out hunting or fishing. Even though he didn't have to anymore I just assumed he enjoyed it. He should be here, since he insisted on going to the abbey as well. It's highly unlikely that both Valentino and Micheletto were together.
Just as I was watching the clouds pass by another maid came in. She was only here to clean up my breakfast that I had finished about an hour ago. "Excuse me." I spoke to her without barely moving my head. She straightened up when she spoke.
"Yes milady?" Her voice was mousy and high.
"Do you know where Valentino is?" I asked finally turning my head to her. She was so young, maybe 13 years old. "We had plans for today."
"Last I saw he was by the stables chopping wood." Her eyes didn't meet mine, she stared at the floor.
"Thank you."
"Of course milady." She curtsied before cleaning up the dishes and leaving. I stood up as soon as she left, a bit too fast as I was dizzy. Stretching my arms over my head I let out a deep yawn.
"Where are you going?" Gabrielle sat up quickly, she was ready as if she had to be ready to stop me.
"To find Valentino." I shrugged as I headed for the door. Gabrielle pushed her book to the side, jumped up and rushed after me.
"Micheletto wouldn't like you doing that, he would want you to stay here." She sounded frantic, as if she was going to get in trouble.
"Bold of you to assume I would listen to him anyway." I walk off into the hall. "If he comes by just tell him you don't know where I am." It was easier said than done, it was hard to lie to Micheletto but it's even harder for Gabrielle. It was near impossible to get a lie passed him so it's probably hard for almost everyone. "You'll be fine because it's true, you don't know where I'll be." Her pupils were wide when I left her alone.
Luckily I was still able to walk properly while being pregnant. It won't be too long before I'm waddling around. But for now there was still a lightness in my step. If I was going to be laying around for several weeks soon then I might as well make use of my legs now.
Outside was warm though not bad by any means. Today was so far the warmest of the year. It will only get hotter from here. It was quiet lovely however. Perfect weather to be outside in.
The stables were only a place I had seen from afar I hadn't actually been there yet. There was no reason for me to want to go there, horses were not something I cared for at all. The stables were huge but, not surprising. Any lord would have the highest quality housing for their horses. They are such a symbol of status that I swear the horses get better care than the workers who feed them. Valentino wasn't visible just yet and I refused to go in the sables on my own. The stable doors were open and I just peaked my head through. No one was there but it seemed the stable was even larger than it looked from the outside, there were rows and rows of stalls for the horses. Only of couple of them were being used, assuming all the other horses were out somewhere. The horse that was closest to me was large and I immediately turned away from the stable when it looked at me. Not only were the beast large and terrifying but they also smelled. How so many men liked being an equestrian is beyond me.
Finally I heard it, the sound of chopping wood. I walked around the side of the stables but saw nothing so my feet followed the sound. It was surprising to me that Valentino was out here chopping wood himself, surely there was someone else that could do it right? The chopping got louder as I followed it towards the back of the stables. Peaking my head around I saw him. He wasn't completely turned away from me but he hadn't spotted me yet. He wore a white cotton shirt and from my angle it looked like it was open on the front. His breeches were a light brown the reached just the middle of his calf. He pushed his brown hair back, it was completely slicked back with sweat. He reached his axe over his head and cut through a log with one strike. My eyebrows raised. I should have made myself known but I just couldn't stop staring at him.
He threw down the axe and it stuck upright in the ground. It was at this moment that I knew I should have revealed myself because he took off his shirt and hung it up on the handle of the axe. He still hadn't noticed me when he reached for a rag that hung on the side of the bucket. He dipped it in the bucket getting it drenched in water right before he rung it out over his face. I bit my lips as I didn't want a sound to escape from me. The water rolling down his arms and back was slow, the drops gleaming in the sunlight. I felt my cheeks get hot and a small smile start to form. I knew he was muscular but the extent of which was unclear until now. He was handsome, kind, wealthy. Why he wasn't married is something that popped into my head. Maybe he wasn't as perfect as he seemed. But even then a lot of men aren't perfect and they are married. So if he's as wonderful as I think he is then he should be any fathers first choice for their daughter.
He went back to his axe and still didn't see me. He neglected to put his shirt back on, it joined the bucket to the side. When he tossed it over it gently ruffled into the grass. Some of his loose curls fell onto his forehead, his effort to keep it back was for nothing. He started chopping wood again. Even though he was covered in sweat, he chopped through the wood like it was nothing. A pile sat to the side and it grew quickly.
Now would be a better time to greet him. At least he didn't see me staring at him. I stepped out fully and immediately his head turned towards me.
"Spying on me?" He smirked when he turned to me fully.
"What? No!" I squeaked. Had he seen me? Maybe he had known I was there the whole time. My cheeks were on fire! My heart was pounding out of my chest. With one arm movement he threw the axe back down and it stuck upright just as before. His movements with the axe were so fluid that it was obvious he did this a lot. "I just got here!" I said quickly as he walked over to me. His body was wet from both sweat and water. The sun gleamed on him and as he moved. It was like ripples in a summer lake, it was hard not to stare.
"I'm just teasing." He chuckled. "Relax." As he got closer to me my neck had to crane up to look at him. It was only then that I realized my mouth was open. I shut it abruptly. If he knew I was eyeing him, he didn't make it obvious. "What do you need my dear?" He asked, pushing his curls back. It was kind of a shame because I loved those luscious brown curls.
"The abbey." I said, trying so hard to not stare at his shirtless body. "It's almost mid day. Are we still going?"
"Goodness." He said breathlessly. "Pardon me, I didn't realize how late it was. Let me just put everything away and get myself cleaned up and we can go." He headed back to grab the axe, bucket and his shirt. I followed him to a door at the back of the stables. He started to head inside and I just stood there to wait for him. "You don't want to come in?" Valentino was standing in the threshold of the barn.
"Uhh?" I didn't really want to say no and be rude so I just followed him in the stables. As soon as we walked in he started hanging up the axe but my eyes were on the horse that was standing just outside a stall. He was tied up, with a bridle still on. I stepped back even if he wasn't close to me at all. Even with his lead at full length I doubt he could reach me.
"Let me just put them away and we can head up to the house." He put everything away and walked over to the black horse. I however stood firmly where I was, my eyes never leaving the horse. Their strength was not known to me, what if he were to break free? I want to be close to the door to have an escape. "Are you okay?" Valentino asks when he sees me standing completely still.
"Yes..." I trailed off deciding if I should say or not. "I just don't really care for horses." My voice was quiet.
"Are you scared?" He asked while stroking the horses face.
"Not scared." I lied. "Just not very familiar with them." It wasn't an irrational fear, they are known to kick. And of course my first meeting with Valentino in this very town was him almost about to trample me on horseback. I could ride horses from one place to another but that was about it. But I didn't really care to be around them more than that. Every time I mounted a horse it was always a daunting task. Once I was on horseback I felt better but not comfortable at all.
"We can get you familiar." He came back over to me and reached out his hand. "That is of course if you want to." I hesitated. "Don't worry I won't have you do anything too crazy, I'm not going to make you into an equestrian." He paused "At least not today." I trusted that he wouldn't let anything happen to me but I didn't trust that horse. It was completely black, down to its hooves. It stood far taller than me, and it's feet were so big that he could crush me with one stomp. I took Valentinos hand anyway. His hands were rough for obvious reasons but they weren't bad by any means. In fact they were surprisingly inviting. "Don't worry Saphire is very docile." He led me over to the horse.
"Is that his name?" I asked as I got closer to the animal.
"Her." He corrected me. "Yes. She's one of Catherine favorites because of how easy she is to get along with." The coat of the black horse had a shine to it, when it caught the light you could see the undertones. I watched her breathing, it was slow but that didn't calm me. With any slight movement could set off the horse. It was shocking that men loved them so much considering at any moment they could stomp on you. The muscles on the her were prominent. I had never looked so close at a horse to know how strong they were. It was shocking as I had never seen such large muscles on an animal before. "Here." Valentino came behind me so close it was like he was going to embrace me. Guiding my hand, putting it directly on her neck, I shivered when I felt her breath. Her coat was silky, so smooth that it was almost slippery. My throat tightened when I felt her skin move under my touch. "Most animals are calm unless provoked." He led my hand from her neck to her face. She didn't move apart from her tail swinging. "You just have to know what provoked them so you can avoid it." I looked into the horses dark eyes and I felt a chill. Valentino stood behind me he was so close that if I moved back even slightly I would fall right into him.
"For a horse what would that be?" My eyes didn't leave the horse, they couldn't. One wrong move and she could hurt me.
"No sudden or quick moves." He stepped out from behind me and it let a cold breeze hit my back. He came around to the other side of Sapphire, his hand stroked her face. Her eyes blinked slowly as she seemed to like the petting. "Loud noises are usually frowned upon." I let my hand slowly move down to Sapphires snout, the soft touch of her skin was soothing. The snout was different, the fur was shorter like a soft fuzz. "Don't walk around the backside unless you make them aware of your presence." I peered at the backside of Sapphire and her large hooves. Horses are known to kick and I never want to know what it feels like to be hit by them. "Some horse are better than others, it depends how they are trained. But the amazing thing about horses is..." he trailed off for just a moment as he looked upon the horse with a smile. "Trust. When you ride a horse you're one, you communicate a lot without words. You don't really get the same connection with any other animal." I had never thought of it that way. Was that the reason Cesare and Micheletto loved riding horses so much? It must feel powerful too. To be connected to such a powerful animal must do something to you. "But enough of me rambling." He chuckled. "Let's get going." I stepped back when Valentino went for the halter on Sapphire. He led her into her stable and she followed him along with no contention.
I stepped out of the door first, wanting to get out of the hot and stuffy barn. When Valentino came out he was putting his white cotton shirt back on.
"How long do you think it will take you to clean yourself up?" I asked and he joined me at my side.
"Not too long." He put his hand on my back as we started to walk. "I'll have Arielle get the carriage ready and by then I'll be ready."
He led me up to the house, keeping close to me the whole time. I could smell the sweat on him, luckily he didn't smell like a barn.
"Can you have someone find Micheletto." I said when we reached the house. I was half expecting him to be here already considering he's usually around all the time.
"He's not around?" Even Valentino found it weird.
"Haven't seen him all morning." He got the door for me leading me into the foyer.
"I'll be sure to have someone locate him."
"Thank you."
"Give me 30 minutes." He smiled before leaving me. I watched him walk away, up the stairs. He went so swiftly that he was out of my sight in mer moments.
With walking down to the stables, and back up I felt no need to climb any steps. So I ventured outside. In the back there were lounge chairs that seemed desirable. The day was just starting to get warm and the sky was a perfect blue. The flowers must have been having a good day as well because as soon as I walked outside the scent of fresh flowers hit my nose. The fact that Valentino grew all of this is impressive. It was a sea of rainbow that I couldn't take my eyes off of. I sank down into the lounge chair letting out a big breath of air when I did so. It felt like my body was fighting more, or more so the baby that was inside was fighting me. It was taking up my resources, even my air. So far it wasn't as bad as it will get but every day I crept closer and closer to barely even being able to walk. It has just started to become noticeable, even the little bit I had done this morning took a considerable amount of my energy. As soon as I sat, I felt better. Though I was not looking forward to the time where I will be too big to move.
Every time a breeze swept by the flowers moved like waves in a sea. As much as I loved sitting outside I hope to find more to do while I stay here. Who knows how much time I'll have before I can't do anything.
I heard footsteps behind me, with just a glance over my shoulder I could see it was Micheletto. He sat down in the lounge chair right next to me without a word. When I looked over at him his eyes were closed and his hands resting over his stomach.
"Finally see the good in just laying out in the sun?" I asked him as he seems to be enjoying himself. The corners of his lips were turned up a bit. Was he smiling?
"I figured there is no harm in joining you." His eyes didn't opened when he talked. "Besides I need to keep my eye on you anyway." He squinted, looking at me through the side of his eye. I smiled at him before sinking lower into my chair.
"Where were you this morning?" I questioned because it was a mystery. No matter how hard I wracked my brain I couldn't figure it out. He normally was around me if I was awake. Maybe he thought he would be back before I woke up. The hour I slept to seemed to get later and later every day.
"I could ask you the same question." His voice was stern like always but he still was sitting back in his chair soaking up the sun.
"Please don't." Though his eyes were closed he probably knew I was looking at him.
"Are we still going to the abbey?" He asked me.
"Just waiting on Valentino to get ready. Should be any minute now." I looked up to the sun and shut my eyes, letting the light soak into my skin. "Just relax until then. Do you know how to do that?"
"Yes." He grunted.
We sat in silence for some time and it was quite enjoyable. Being able to sit with someone in silence with someone and it not feel odd is a lovely thing to have. I can only imagine that some would feel unsettled near Micheletto, but not I.
Footsteps approached from behind us. Without even looking I knew it was Valentino. Had it been 30 minutes already?
"Ready?" He asked and when I cracked my eyes open all I saw was a figure standing over me, the sun was blinding me.
"Of course." Micheletto answered before I did, shooting up from the seat. It was not the same for me, getting up was slow. I reached my arms out for Micheletto and he helped me to my feet.  The seat was clearly too low for me.
The carriage that brought me here just a few days ago was the one I rode in now. My head sat on the edge of the window as the town around me passed by.
The abbey was bigger than I thought it would be. But honestly I didn't know what I had expected, I didn't frequent too many abbeys or monasteries to know what they are like. Of course if they are run by the church then I guess it would be very large and extravagant. The windows were stained class, the buttress were tall, pointed at the top, there were rows of them paired with flying buttresses.
Micheletto was there to meet me when I exited the carriage. A nun was already outside waiting for us. She waved for us, her arm wagging over her head. Her big smile on her face was inviting. "Good to see you my lord." She approached Valentino, taking both his hands in hers. She was younger than I expected, why I thought that all nuns are supposed to be old women is beyond me. She was maybe 40 years old, dress in black and white with her hair covered.
"Sister." He hugged her, seemed more familiar than expected.
Micheletto and I shot a quick look to each other. "Lena." Valentino turned to me, waving his hand for me to step up. "This is Sister Cecilia." He spoke when I joined him at his side.
"Lovely to meet you." I said quietly.
"And Sister." Valentino gestured to Micheletto. "This is Micheletto, a friend of ours who will be joining us today." Sister Cecilia looked Micheletto up and down, her eyes slow. It was subtle but her one eyebrow raised towards him and her lips pursed together ever so sightly.
"Welcome." Her eyes darted quickly back to Valentino. She took my hands in hers, they were surprisingly soft and warm. "Are you okay to walk in this heat my dear?" She assessed me, and I couldn't get a read on her at all.
"The heat is strong today but I will be fine."
"Well alright then." She gave a bright smile to Valentino and I. "Let's get started on a tour."