Chapter 22. New Home

22

1494 Italy

"What is your plan exactly?" Micheletto rode next to me. Gabriele rode in front of us far enough that she wouldn't hear us talk but not to far to where I would worry something might happen.
"Uh?" My hands tensed up around the reins. "The plan was to get out of Rome."
"And now?"
"I don't know. I didn't think I would get this far." I shrugged. I felt like my father in that moment. I doubt that he really thought about his plan when he left me. The day before his departure he was fine, he acted normal as if nothing was wrong. But that night he was frantic and hysterical, like he didn't know what he was doing. He always planned things out and when things didn't go as planned he gets very anxious.
"I just want to find this baby a home with a family that can take care of it. But of course I don't know how to do that." I let out a deep sigh. "But I guess that's why I have you to help me right?" He nodded. I think Micheletto was a year older than me or maybe the same age, I'm not exactly sure. But he is wise beyond his years and I always wonder how he got that way. Was he always so wise even as a child or did something happen to him to make him change?
"Are you going to tell me what's in the bag?" He pointed to the sack that was tied to my saddle.
"No, it's private."
"Alright." He said with a suspicious voice.
"We all have secrets Micheletto."
"Some more than others." I knew he meant me.
"Some of those secrets are keeping people safe."
"And other keep them in the dark." He knew a lot more than I thought he did. We rode in silence for a moment before I just blurted out "Do you think he will be mad?" Micheletto shot me a curious look. "Cesare."
"When he finds that you are missing he will be worried. Then when he finds out that you left he'll be angry. But when he finds you he will be relieved."
"When? You mean if he finds me."
"I don't doubt that Cesare will find you, its just a matter of how long it will take him." I could feel my heart sink into my stomach. If he finds me I would rather it be after the child is gone.
I mostly stayed quiet after that, talking to myself in my head. But it only made my anxiety worse. I'm so scared. I just wanted to go back to when I was a kid and we spent summers at the lake. I wanted a normal life again, but I guess this was my normal now.
"We are here." Gabrielle said over her shoulder. It was dark out but I recognized this town as the one Cesare took me to when we were headed to Pesaro. "The villa is just outside the town."
We followed her through town, and the whole time I kept staring at Valentino's villa. I wonder if he would help me? He doesn't like Cesare so I know he won't tell him that I am here. Cesare's friend Brutus is another story, I have to watch out for him.
The villa wasn't that far outside of town, in fact it was less than 15 minutes from the center of town. It was good because it was far enough that I could stay secluded.
Gabrielle lit the lanterns outside as I dismounted. It was small, 2 floors, and made of stone. There was a place for the horses, a well and even a patch for planting.
She opened the door and we followed her in. It was cold, dank and dark. She lit the fire place and the whole room felt better. "It's not much."
"No, it's perfect." It was one large room, the furniture was the most basic you can get, very different from what I'm used to but I don't mind. I noticed the rocking chair by the fire place and immediately smiled. The kitchen was also in here and again it was small. This place may not be much but it was homey.
"I'm going to unsaddle the horses." Micheletto said before leaving us.
"There are two rooms upstairs. I don't know if Micheletto will be here all the time but when he is he can stay in the second room with me."
"Thank you. You didn't have to help me but you did and for that I am great full."
"You're welcome." She smiled. "Your things should be upstairs and the things we don't have we can get tomorrow. But right now it is time for you to go to sleep." I nodded to her.
I went up the steps and found my things in a separate room just like she said. When sitting down on the bed I noticed how the sheets and blankets felt. They weren't as soft as I was used to, but just like everything else here, I don't mind. I can't complain because this is my only option, other than to go back to the Vatican and tell Cesare everything. No one other than Gabrielle and Micheletto know where I am so I should be safe here.
I heard a noise coming from under the bed, it sounded like an animal, what else would it be? I stood up and stepped back from the bed. The rustling continued and I only hoped it wasn't a rat, it sounded to large to be a rat, either that or it was a really large rat. What came out had big and bright yellow eyes, a long lean black body and a tail. When my eyes focused on it I saw that it was a cat and I breathed a sign of relief. "It's not a rat." I said to myself. The cat meowed to me and I kneeled down. "Come here." I stuck out my hand and it came over to sniff it. "hey little guy." I started scratching his head and he liked it. His fur was knotted and rough, his paws looked torn up and his left ear had a hole in it. "Are you gonna stay?" I asked and he meowed. I just smiled.