Chapter 1 - Cookies

Start from the beginning

When I notice his eyes roaming over my body, I shift to face the table and cast my gaze onto the tin in front of me. A light blush making itself present on my cheeks. Calm down Cortelia. It's just another boy... But he is quite attractive. Oh, do shut up. Collecting myself, I look up and note that the whole family seem to be sat down now. All of them avidly gazing at me. I probably look like a deer caught in head lights. I really don't do well with social situations. Why did my mother do this to me?

"Darlings, this is Cortelia Windsor. Her family have moved in down the road. Would you please introduce yourselves" As Olivia speaks I exhale a sigh of relief. At least I didn't have to break that awkward silence. The male turns to his mother.

"What? Do you mean the house that's recently had workmen in?" He asks. His deep voice sultry and dreamy. I sigh internally. Hormones stop it! Olivia nods and he turns to me.

Shit! 

"Hi, I'm Roman. Nice to meet you" He holds his hand out for me to shake it. My eyes widen. Shit, I don't know him I can't shake his hand. My social anxiety makes me freeze for a second. 

But I have to grin and bear it.

I slowly swallow. I grasp his hand and firmly shake it, thanking my lucky stars that I didn't have a panic attack. Quickly, I collect myself.

"How do you do?" I reply and I can tell what he's thinking. Typical British girl. Roman chuckles lightly, releases my hand and smiles at me. I reciprocate the smile and then turn toward the girl, continuing to smile. She taps something with a stylus on her phone.

"Hi, I'm Shelley" A computer voice speaks from her phone. Oh, she must not be able to talk.

"Hi Shelley, its nice to meet you. Do you read a lot?" I question, spotting a copy of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brönte on her lap and pointing to it. Shelley nods and I smile. "What's your favourite book?" I ask. She starts typing again.

"Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen" The voice from her phone speaks. I smile wider.

"I love that book, classic, but my favourite book has to be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier" I speak causing her to smile. She types really quickly.

"I love that book...." The voice announces.

"To be honest, I just love the gothic in general. Another of my favourites is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" I reply with a wide smile spread across my face. 

"I've read Rebecca. It's a good book" My eyes move to the owner of the voice.

Roman.

"Really? You read?" I ask, shocked is not the word. He nods. "Then how did Rebecca die?" I look him straight in the eye.

"Maxim killed her and made it look like she died in a boating accident" He states coolly, staring back at me.

"God, don't bring that up..." I trail off, watching Roman as he pulls out a packet of cigarettes from his pocket.

"Yeah, I just love how the narrator's name is never revealed. It's quite interesting" Roman speaks, pulling out a cigarette and placing it between his teeth, smoothly lighting it. He goes to offer me a cigarette before placing the packet back in his pocket.

  "I'm alright, thanks. I value my lungs" I sigh and cough slightly when I breath in the smoke from Roman's cigarette. "And I have asthma" I continue to cough.

"Sorry, I'll go outside" He nods at me, stands up and exits through a door into their back garden.

"He's never done that before" Olivia muses, resting her chin on her hands. I give her a confused look.