Chapter 20 - Reality

I am suddenly shaken awake by my little brother, Sam, who is frantically trying to get me to wake up for some reason. My eyes open and I sit up quickly, running my hands through my hair shakily as the events of last night roll through my head.

"Finally, you're awake" Sam let's out a sigh, tucking a stray strand of his brown hair behind his ear. His blue eyes stare at me incredulously as I immediately stand from my bed and hurriedly dig through my wardrobe for weather appropriate clothing. "Um... What are you doing?" He asks, standing and following me whilst I run around my bedroom collecting various things like my wooly hat and a torch etcetera.

"I'm going out to look for Roman, what does it look like?" I reply, sarcasm dripping from my voice like water from an old tap. Finally, I manage to locate his grey cardigan and hug it to my chest, before adding it to my pile of clothes.

"They found him in the early hours of this Morning" Sam states, scratching his neck nervously as I stare at him silently. I let out a large sigh of relief and pick up my pile of clothing, heading towards my ensuite.

"Well, then I'm going to see him" I speak, shutting the bathroom door behind me and hurriedly changing into my clothes only to stop when Sam speaks to me through the door.

"He's in a coma" My heart stops as my mind processes those four words. I freeze with my yellow jumper half way over my head, shuddering when a tear steadily rolls down my cheek from my left eye. Slowly, I pull my jumper down and slide my arms through it somewhat mechanically. I find myself with my back leaning against the door, choking out a sob and sliding towards the floor as gravity takes it hold on me. "Cortelia, are you okay?" My brother asks from the opposite side of the wooden surface, knocking persistently in a bid to get my attention.

"No, Sammy. I'm afraid not" I manage to splutter these words whilst sobbing in an erratic manner and wrapping my arms around my bent legs in an attempt to pull myself together.

"Okay. Um, I'm going to get Mum. Stay there, everything's gonna be okay" He rushes his speech and I hear his footsteps quickly hurry away, sighing when the sound of my bedroom door clicking shut greets my ears. I attempt to steady my breathing and slow the torrent of tears that is flooding down my face, but my efforts are useless. He could never wake up, he could be stuck in a vegetated state for the rest of his life.

At this point I fall to the floor, still clutching my legs as close to my chest as is possible. Watching as my tears form a pool by the side of my face and my body shakes heavily from the pathetic sobs that leave it.

Suddenly, a knock on the door causes me to be dragged kicking and screaming back into reality. I take a deep breath and somehow manage to sit up. Quickly, I grab a wad of tissues and wipe at my face haphazardly. I get to my feet eventually. My legs feel like jelly and they quiver with every step I make towards the door. Shakily, my hand reaches out and opens the door to be met with the faces of my mother and Olivia. When their eyes meet mine a look of sympathy crosses their features, and for some reason I find that Olivia seems hardly fazed by the fact that her son is currently in a coma.

"Come here, dear. It's going to be okay" Mum smiles warmly at me and takes me into her arms. I bury my face in the crook of her neck, as she pats my back reassuringly. I fight back tears when I realise that the only person's arms that I want to be in right now are Roman's. A shallow, shaky breath leaves my lips when my mother pulls away from the hug.

"Darling, he's at home. If you want to come see him" Olivia adds, smiling as well with a little less warmth behind her grin. I nod my head, not trusting my speech at this moment in time. Wrapping my arms around my slim frame, I follow Olivia out of my room and down the stairs to be greeted by the little bundle of joy that is my little sister. Her small arms wrap around my side tightly.

"Happy Thanks Giving, Telia" She speaks, beaming happily up at me. I can't help but smile back and reciprocate her embrace.

After Victoria finally decided to let go of me, I left the house and quickly headed to Godfrey Manor. Tentatively, I climb up the slowly spiraling staircase after Olivia to be lead to an elevator. We step into it and travel up in silence before it grinds to a halt and the doors open. I walk into the spacious loft surrounding me and my eyes land on Roman, sleeping soundly in a hospital bed with an IV connected to him. I almost fall to my feet at the sight of him, so weak and peaceful in his sleep.

I quickly place myself in a chair that is situated at the side of his bed (for fear of collapsing) and take his pale hand in mine as tears threaten to spill from my eyelids, betraying my cowardice in the face of his current situation. The sound of the elevator descending causes me to quite literally almost jump out of my seat. I glance over to find that Olivia has left me alone with Roman, probably to allow me some time alone to talk to him.

I avert my gaze back to his sleeping face and my breath catches in my throat, fresh tears dripping from my eyes land on his hospital gown and create random spots of dampness on the white cloth.

"Roman..." I speak, pausing as I fight back a sob that is aching to leave my throat. "Please, don't leave me" I manage to whisper, before dropping my head and resting it on our clasped hands only to be consumed by more tears than I ever thought were possible for a human being to weep.

A/N: Please don't kill me, trust me the story is actually going places now. Also, I'm sticking to the first series and book then I might deviate a bit so please don't judge my plot line. Plus there might be a sequel after this I don't know, what do you guys think? Please let me know. Thanks for reading. PS: I just finished season 3 and now I feel kind of empty,and I don't know what to do with myself.