1

"Mom!" A little boy with light blond hair that looked white stumbled up to Queen Aelin Ashryver Galathiyus. He had a big frame for a four year old child, taking after his father, King Rowan Whitethorn Galathiyus. "Salena and Samantha won't play with me," he complained, his Ashryver eyes gleaming with unshed tears as he tried to put on a brave face.

His older twin sisters stood behind him, looking irritated. "We were doing our own thing and he just kept bothering us," Salena said indignantly.

Rowan laughed from behind Aelin. "Ashton, your mother will play with you. Salena, Samantha, go off. All of your uncle and aunts are coming over with their kids."

Ashton sighed while Salena and Samantha grinned excitedly. "Yay!" Of course they were excited. They had Isla, Chaol and Yrene's daughter, and Cassandra, Dorian and Manon's daughter. Ashton had Lykos, Lysandra and Aedion's son but Lykos usually liked going off with the girls since Ashton was the youngest.

Salena looked at Samantha. "I can't wait to show them my new trick!" she said. Samantha rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she said.

Aelin hugged Ashton close. "Come, little buzzard," she murmured. "I'll tell you one of your favorite stories."

Ashton instantly smiled and threw a smug look in his sisters' directions. Samantha, who Aelin said had a personality so much like her old friend Sam, sighed while Salena huffed. They both ran off, their father following as Aelin sat Ashton on her lap.

"Let me tell you the story of how I became queen," she said. "I had a lot of friends, adventures and battles, which all came to how I rose to the throne." Ashton fidgeted in her lap, already excited for the story. Aelin used a calm, quiet voice that she rarely used. Ashton liked to think she only used that voice just for him.

"The Assassin's Keep. That's where I met Sam. Sam Cortland. That's who Samantha was named after. Right?" Ashton nodded and Aelin continued her story.
***
Ashton sat in his seat, relieved he didn't have to go through all of the royal duties he heard his sisters had to do. He was busy playing the pianoforte, an instrument his mother insisted on him learning. So he did, and found he enjoyed it quite immensely. He ran his fingers over the keys, relishing the familiarity. He had been playing since eight, the age Aelin had taken the name Celaena Sardothien and had become the most feared assassin. Now at eighteen, he had been taught many things, languages, skills and politics. He found politics boring though.

A knock sounded and he jumped, not a big fan of surprises. His fingers slammed into a key and he yelped at the large sound the instrument emitted. He nearly fell back as the door opened, his father poking his head in. Rowan laughed, seeing his son, who looked very much like him, nearly fall off of the bench.

"Hey, Ash," Rowan said, stepping into the room. Ashton marveled at how silent his father was, especially with his huge frame. He smiled at his father.

"Aunt Manon wants you to do a favor for her," Rowan continued.

Ashton perked up. He prided himself on being the most helpful, since Rowan always told him to care for others. He fingered a knife at his weapons belt. "What is it?" Usually Manon's favors included fighting creatures that had Aelin, Rowan, Lysandra, Aedion, and Chaol yelling at her for putting their children in danger. Manon laughed it off, Dorian apologized for his wife, Ansel Briarcliff howled with laughter while Elide sighed, shaking her head.

"Tomorrow she wants your help to carry her witch mirror from the Wastelands to Adarlan."

Ashton frowned. "That thing's heavy though," he complained.

"Which is why your sisters are coming with you."

"What about the others? Lykos, Isla and Cassandra?"

"They're going to be meeting you there," Rowan replied patiently.

Ashton sighed. "Alright. Tomorrow?"

Another nod. "Bright and early. Your mother and I will see you off."

He tried to smile. And as his father left, closing the door gently behind him, Ashton felt dread pooling in his stomach. It wasn't going to go well, sending his two sisters who had grown somewhat apart and him together.

His forehead fell onto the keyboard, a horrible sound describing perfectly how the prince was feeling.

A/N: hm? How was that for the first chap? I personally like it. Like and comment!