The princess and the totally and completely unnecessary bodyguard

Start from the beginning

This summer, I was to finally return home. Two years had passed since my last visit and I was eager to arrive back at the kingdom.

There was a catch: I needed a bodyguard. Too many attempts on my life had been performed; it was one of the few reasons why I ran to Paradise. For six years, I basically stayed under the radar. By returning this summer, it meant that I was putting myself on the map once more. My mother said that I would have to sit out the wedding if I wouldn't agree to get myself a bodyguard.

So my father and mother got me one. I was going to meet them tonight, which was why the message was in capital letters, demanding that I come to the house and get ready.

Today had also been the day I had decided to empty out my locker. Five thick books were being balanced in my arm while several fat binders were nestled uncomfortably in my backpack. I could barely see straight, and had to strain around the sides to get a glimpse of where my feet were taking me.

Around...thirty seconds, I collided with someone else and I bounced back, rubbing my forehead in pain as books fell onto my lower calves and scattered around me. They flopped open, their pages spilling open to the air.

Whoever I bumped into had a chest made of titanium. What did he eat for breakfast, Oatmeal of Steel? Allowing my eyes to open, I squinted at the figure that was shadowed by the shade of the tree whose branches stretched over us. There was no denying it: Logan Cross.

Of all my nonexistent luck... I cursed inwardly as laughter from Logan's groupies. Honestly, I didn't want to spend more energy arguing with him today. Twice was enough to last me until tomorrow. Not to mention if I was late back home, my father would take away my soft drinks. My hands fumbled to gather as I attempted to gather all the books. The tights pulled over my legs began to appear dirty. Great, what if my father thought I had been mugged on my trip back to the house?

His friends didn't help. One even kicked one of my books farther away.I watched it hopscotch away from me. I sat up, my knees still digging into the ground as I wiped the red bangs away from my face. I closed my eyes in an attempt to hide my furious irritation.

Don't punch them, don't punch them, I repeated mentally, biting my lips and burying my fingers into my fists.

And in the blink of an eye, Cross was on his knees, his hands gathering all my fallen objects for me. A quick look from him and his friend fetched the book he had kicked before handing it to Cross. Mr. I Hate Park Sparrow then gripped my arms, tucking my books under his arm and lifted me up.

He shot another glare towards his faithful hounds. They backed away almost immediately, leaving us alone. Cross proceeded ahead towards the gate entrance. I had no choice but to follow him, seeing that my books were in his grasp.

His sneakers stopped right outside the gate and I almost bumped into his back.

"Here," he muttered, pushing the bounded pages into my arms. The heavy weight on my arms almost had me dropping, but I tried to stand up straight. Then I continued eyeing him suspiciously. He grew uncomfortable with my consistent oggling.

Cross backed up a few steps, crossing his arms and avoiding my gaze. "What?"

"I'm not sure what to say." I knew I should say thank you, but I was afraid that it wasn't Cross that was helping me. Who knows? Maybe an alien arrived here at Cross Academy and took the real Logan away after replacing him with a doppelganger.

"A thank you would be nice," he suggested. At that, I shook my head so that the red strands of my hair flapped around my face.

"I don't talk to strangers," I said, my tone carrying a serious vibe that seemed to persuade him of my fake somberly thoughts.