A Long Time

During the six months since I left Peter and Fury in an abandoned Fury, I switched apartments. Only because Peter knew where I lived beforehand. The new apartment was on the edge of Queens, far above the ground in a very quiet area. The apartment itself was quite roomy and particularly pricey. But, with the money that Tony and Steve sneaked into my bank account, I was able to afford it. I still didn't talk to them – only because I couldn't. Tony and Steve together were like two amazing older brothers, as well as Bucky. HYDRA took him. Steve and I tried to save him, but we couldn't. After we had spent ages getting our Buck back, they ripped his memory to pieces. If I bumped into him in the street, he would barely take an interest.

To keep myself busy, I got a job. It's only a waitress, I'm not your next Tony Stark or anything, I just make pretzels and serve customers drinks. So exciting. The pay wasn't too bad either, surprisingly. My boss was really nice too, so there wasn't really a problem. I just had a very simple life. And that was all I needed.

As I said before, I haven't been in contact with any of them, at least not until this morning, which started with the buzzing of my alarm.

-

I hit the snooze button and sat up under the covers. Pushing them off, I gracefully fell out of the bed, face planting the floor before hopping into the kitchen (after hitting my toe on the door frame) and pouring myself some coffee from the strainer. I took frequent sips as I carried it around while getting ready, looking a bit strange as I tried to balance it on my head while I brushed my teeth, and then realizing that I could have just put it on the counter like a normal human being. I threw on my uniform, a simple black pencil skirt and t-shirt, and I was about the brush the nest that had grown on my head when I heard rapid knocks on my door. Obviously, I found it peculiar, I don't have visitors.

"Who is it?" I called out, my hairbrush between my teeth and I separated parts of my hair.

The door dramatically opened, revealing a very familiar face.

"Sorry to bother you ma'am, but do you have any sugar?" The figure said sarcastically. I beamed and dropped the brush, running into his arms. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and smiled.

"Steve! What are you doing here, you ass?" I asked, hitting his shoulder lightly.

"I just got back from a mission, we need your help." He said, looking at me straight in the eyes with an innocent look on his face.

"I mean, it sounds good and all, but I've got work in a bit," I said, recreating his face and battering my eyelashes.

"Okay okay, when do you finish work?" He asked, smiling widely.

"I'll be back here for five, see you soon," I said quickly, kissing his cheek and shutting the door. I felt bad but I had to go, work was a priority now. For once in my life, I just wanted to be a normal woman with a normal job. As fast as I could, I pulled my wavy hair into a ponytail and swung open the door. To my surprise, he was no longer there.

Rewritten on the 8th of December, 2017